Apple and Pear TC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bolty

Reaction score
I have just started my first batch of TC (only done bitter brew kits before).

16 lts Sainsburys UHT Apple Juice
8 lts Sainsburys UHT Apple and Pear Drink (I know its not pure juice, but is very close, looking at the ingredients)
1.25kg sugar
Champagne Yeast
OG : 1.058

While it is bubbling away, I was wondering whether it would be fine to prime my pressure barrel with copella apple and pear juice, when it is ready (I would really like to add a bit more flavour)? Or is this a bad idea? Would I have to heat the juice first 'just in case'?

First, Welcome to the Forum!

I am a little confused by your question. Are you referring to a keg when you say pressure barrel? If so, I am afraid I am of little use, as I don't keg my brew. But at the very least I have bumped your thread, so hopefully someone else can help, or at least you can better explain your question.

Generally, if you add any fermentable product (apple and pear juice in this case) the yeast will simply eat away all its sugar as well. You can kill off the yeast with sorbate and k-metabisulphite and then add any sugars or juice to increase its sweetness or apple flavor.

Cheers for the reply.

A pressure barrel is a UK type of keg.

I want to build up a bit of pressure (by secondary barrel fermentation) and potentially add flavour. Does adding juice actually keep its flavour if used for priming?

Copella make a VERY nice pure juice drink (comes in chilled litres and has 9.2g sugar per 100ml), and is made from native English varieties.

Well if you are not actually force carbing in your pressure barrel, then what is your desire to build up the pressure?

If you are using juice to prime it in the sense of adding fermentable sugars to create co2 for pressurizing your barrel, then no you won't get much more flavor, as all of the sugars will be eaten by the yeasts. Also, how much pressure are you looking to create? Because it would probably be better to prime with some form of sugar, more directly. This could be juice concentrate, table sugar, corn sugar, honey, etc.

Its just really to give it a bit of fizz and some pressure in the barrel to keep it flowing. I will probably use table sugar now. Is 1oz per gallon about right to get it sparkling?

Ta for the patience (totally new to cider).

1oz per gal. is the recommended amount for priming sugar, I am just not familiar with using priming sugar for kegging. I can't imagine it is any different, but do you have a way of monitoring the pressure? Because once you tap it for the first time, you will lose almost all of your pressure. And if you keep opening it up to add more priming sugar to bring the pressure back up, you are risking infections and at the least oxidation.

Again, I don't keg, and I know nothing about kegging without a co2 supply as you are doing. So if someone else could help, I would certainly be mroe comfortable with their advice over my own.

Back