Burned Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killer_mpg

Reaction score
So I brewed my first beer yesterday:)mug: ) and I didn't stir it much...
so after I got it to my primary i looked in the brew pot and there was a big black ring on the bottom.

I was wondering whether the whole thing is going to taste horrible or maybe just have a smoky flavor?

orfy said:
Taste it and see.

When you do, don't freak out over the tiny little things you think might be there... First brews are probably the most often dumped for the wrong reasons. This beer will taste flat and a bit "weird" because you're not used to it at that stage. What you SHOULD note, however are incredibly strong flavours that you dislike - like charcoal, smoke or burnt sugar.

Sometimes accidents yield great results it's possible the caramelized flavour will add to your brew and you'll find something you like a lot. :)

If not, at least your next brew won't be burnt. :)

Let it soak in water for a few hours, the scrub with Barkeepers friend. Or let soak overnight in hot water with a little PBW added in, it'll come off easy either way.

well I have never tasted beer this young before but the taste is not unpleasant. very malty which can be expected. I am not going to dump it. Its my first brew and i have grown attached to it.

Oh, absolutely! No one was suggesting you dump it. You just wondered if it was going to taste burnt or smoky. The only way to tell is to taste it.

I've never dumped a batch, but there was one that was kind of tough to drink!

not really smoky
just a little bitter not like hops bitter.
smells funny too but that could be the yeast.

But it couldn't be any worse than corona or bud

Couple pieces of advice:

Leave your beer alone and let it take its course. Tough...I know. My first batch (40+ batches ago)..I was dippingin and taking readings every 20 minutes.

To help you leave that batch alone...get to thinking of your next batch. Get a recipe together, assemble and clean your equipment, wash some bottles...ANYTHING, to keep you from muddling with your first beer.

AND....when it comes time, bottle a six-pack of that first beer and hide it for a year.

Back