Third time's a charm SNPA clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iambeer

Reaction score
In the Iambeer house, all was quiet and all was still. There I was, sitting on the couch sippin' SNPA's and getting in the SNPA groove; Thinking, "SNPA, I love you". Then I thought I would break open my tester from the SNPA clone batch I bottled a few weeks ago (in the frigo since yesterday).

This was my third attempt at the SNPA clone. My first attempt it so bad, it is still in the bottles (I open one per month and don't have the heart [or the time] to dump them all at once). The second was OK (at the time, it was a triumph). Now my third attempt has the advantage of cooler fermentation. So I had moderately better expectations.

SNPA clone #3 first taste impressions:

1 No noticeable off tastes (in contrast to last two attempts)
2 Smoother than expected (again, exceeding my expectations)
3 Minty finish

Minty finish. Cascade. In the Iambeer house, on the iambeer hour, I am sitting on the couch and reflecting on this minty finish.

I like to drink beer fresh. Since I brew 3 gallon batches, beer doesn't last that long. I don't want to have to wait for the hops to mellow out in the future, unless it is very worth it.

Is the minty aftertaste a result of the 60, 20, 5, or dry hop addition? I should like to lower the amount of hops then.

Overall I'm happy and I think I will sleep well after this beer is done.

This is also the first time I used granulated sugar instead of corn sugar for conditioning with excellent results.

Now if I could figure out why my wheat beers taste and smell like cheerios...

My cascade and willamette pale ale isn't minty at all. If I had to guess I'd say the minty is a result of late hop or dry hop additions. I think with IPAs it's ok to load up on late hops, but I like moderate amounts of late hops in my pales so they don't overwhelm the modest malt bill with too much floral, veggy, or mint aromas and flavors. Try using more early hops next time to get IBUs where you want and then do just enough late hops to get a nice amount of aroma and bring out the hop character without overwhelming the malt. Hard to say what those amounts are without seeing your recipe.

My cascade and willamette pale ale isn't minty at all. If I had to guess I'd say the minty is a result of late hop or dry hop additions. I think with IPAs it's ok to load up on late hops, but I like moderate amounts of late hops in my pales so they don't overwhelm the modest malt bill with too much floral, veggy, or mint aromas and flavors. Try using more early hops next time to get IBUs where you want and then do just enough late hops to get a nice amount of aroma and bring out the hop character without overwhelming the malt. Hard to say what those amounts are without seeing your recipe.

Thanks for the info--sounds like the dry hops are causing this. And by mint I mean the spiciness of mint more than the aroma or flavor (if that makes any difference). I use about one oz per 5 gallons for each addition.

FYI: BYO printed homebrew recipes of a bunch of SN beers in their December issue. Very interesting recipes too. The SNPA surprised me with a super simple grain bill and a mashing temp of 155 as well as a 90 min boil. I have tried 2 different attempts at SNPA as well and went for a third time with this newest version. It is currently fermenting.

FYI: BYO printed homebrew recipes of a bunch of SN beers in their December issue. Very interesting recipes too. The SNPA surprised me with a super simple grain bill and a mashing temp of 155 as well as a 90 min boil. I have tried 2 different attempts at SNPA as well and went for a third time with this newest version. It is currently fermenting.

Nice, I'll have to check it out. I'm still on the dark lagers issue, so I'm going to have make a special trip to the old mailbox. Good luck on your #3 :mug:

IF I am not mistaken the clone recipes from that issue (SN) were actually put together by the SN brewmaster for us home brewers.....I am getting ready to do the SNPA....and hopefully the celebration ale.

Did anyone brew these from the issue ? I just put together the partial mash recipe in brew builder and the numbers from their calculations don't even come close to the numbers in BYO ???? BYO shows an O.G of 1.052 and Brew Builder shot out 1.092.....doesn't make any sense.

I brewed the recipe from HBT and tasted today. First batch awesome...

I don't recall any dry hops.

It was warrior (think I subbed warrior for bittering as that was what I had), then perele then cascades at 10 min and flame out.

OK I guess the reason I am asking if anyone has brewed the version from the December BYO is because of what brew builder is calculating the O.G. at its 40 points higher than the magazine has it.

Sorry to wake a year old thread up but I have an interesting situation with this clone.
I brewed the SNPA clone from norther brewer and I followed the recipe to the 'T'. It is still a little young (1.5 weeks in bottles) but has enough carb for a thin head. Having said that, it has a more than subtle grapefruit taste and smell to it.

1) What caused this?
2) Is this something that will fade given time?

The recipe is:

5gal

Mash 152*

10lbs ...... 2row
.75lbs ..... Caramel 60
----
.75oz ......chinook ......... 45min
.75oz ......German perle . 20min
2oz .........cascade ......... 0min
----
Yeast: S-05 w/starter
----
OG: 1.048 fermented low 60's FG:1.006 (if memory serves)

Any help would be great

Sorry to wake a year old thread up but I have an interesting situation with this clone.
I brewed the SNPA clone from norther brewer and I followed the recipe to the 'T'. It is still a little young (1.5 weeks in bottles) but has enough carb for a thin head. Having said that, it has a more than subtle grapefruit taste and smell to it.

1) What caused this?
2) Is this something that will fade given time?

The recipe is:

5gal

Mash 152*

10lbs ...... 2row
.75lbs ..... Caramel 60
----
.75oz ......chinook ......... 45min
.75oz ......German perle . 20min
2oz .........cascade ......... 0min
----
Yeast: S-05 w/starter
----
OG: 1.048 fermented low 60's FG:1.006 (if memory serves)

Any help would be great

Right there's your grapefruit. Interesting the kit had Chinook in it, I don't believe that's in the original recipe, should be Perle for bittering if memory serves.

So you're saying the chinook is the culprit? I was under the impression that chinook lent a spice or piney flavor.

Bump

Hi Scubby

That is an interesting SNPA clone. SNPA is bittered with Perle and magnum and hit hard with late cascade additions. Cascade is a citrusy hop that one might describe as grapefruit. I'd guess this is the mysterious note you are getting.

Btw, I just put down another SNPA clone myself last night.

Yeah, I just found a great site that has hop flavor/aroma descriptions and it says spice, grapefruit for both cascade and chinook. So I got two grapefruits in my SNPA. That explains everything.

I just kegged a Rye IPA and I am sampling it now for the first time. It's loaded with cascade ,chinook , centennial and citra. I'm totally being hit with grapefruit aroma and flavour. Wow!

Back