Now What?!?!? Infected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FutureBrewer21

Reaction score
I attached an image....I think.
My first infestation and need advice. It's a 'Holiday Ale' kit. I never saw bubbly in primary (don't know OG cause I forgot to write it down like a tard). I opened the primary about 3 days ago, the 'mold' has gotten considerably worse since then.

Can I re-rack without getting the top and bottom layer then re-pitch?......or is it a lost cause?

Any help is appreciated.
:confused:

brew uh oh.jpg

WOW that is got to be on the top five list

45 is right..toss bucket and everything

OMG! that looks like crap. I haven't had an infection yet, but if I had something that looked like that I would not at all try to save it.

New bucket and brew again.:mug:

I would pull a sample from beneath the mold and smell or taste it before tossing it out. It could still be good and fermented out under there.

theempire said:
I would pull a sample from beneath the mold and smell or taste it before tossing it out. It could still be good and fermented out under there.

+1 - everything I've read says that the growths that can hurt you can't live in beer. So if you don't need the bucket, let this ride until the pelecule drops then rack it off. You'll be tossing the bucket and contents If it doesn't work out, so no need to clear YE fermenter now unless you're short on space.

*However* I'm not sure the "beer is proof against nasty bacteria" rule applies if it didn't ferment prior to this infection. You should check out the pelecule thread and consult some folks with more experience before trying the beer.

Kill it with fire!!!!!! seriously though toss it. As far as tasting.... Eh nothing that ugly is getting anywhere near my lips

Toss it. Don't "try it you might like it" like others have said. Brush up on your sanitation and get another batch going, or if possible have a local experienced homebrewer brew with you to make sure you are following all the correct steps. We all have made batches that were not good, don't risk it. Good Luck ! :mug:

that has no hints of a 'good' infection. dump it and chalk this one up to an (hopefully) isolated experience.

i agree with those that say to re-examine your sanitation practices. it would also be helpful if you filled us in on some details of your boil, how you handled the extract (top off water, etc), and what kind of yeast was used and how that was handled.

don't be discouraged, it happens. just toss it and try again.

Throw that **** away. Unless you are poor and that hard off for beer or an alcoholic there is no reason to try and save that garbage.

In that small picture it looks like someone threw a bunch of those alien wafers in your beer! I agree with those who say DUMP IT! Also might want to check any hosing or other plastic equipment while your at it. Dont throw the bucket away, label it as "INFECTED" or something similar and use it for storing dry ingredients, star san, equipment, runoff chilling water, etc.

Toss the beer. If you bottle it you run a higher risk of bottle bombs at worst and over foaming beer at best. Clean the bucket and use it for storage if you cannot bear to toss it out (I would clean it and also use some bleach to kill any more microbes but I don't recoomend using it for fermenting again.)

don't worry about the scratched bucket paranoia, don't toss the bucket! wash, sanitize and you can use it for the next beer. if you want to prove it to yourself fill the bucket with boiled sugary water (fresh wort if you're feeling rich), seal it and see if you get an infection, i'll bet you won't if you sanitize the bucket. scratches don't harbor special bugs that can survive star san and infections can come into the bucket from the air or any number of places besides a scratch.

Thanks everyone for info and laughs. It actually is my 'bottling' bucket and never been used as fermenter. I had wine in that bucket. Fermenters are already on Christmas list ;)
Sucks I have to toss it.....smelled so dang good......at first.

Thanks everyone for info and laughs. It actually is my 'bottling' bucket and never been used as fermenter. I had wine in that bucket. Fermenters are already on Christmas list ;)
Sucks I have to toss it.....smelled so dang good......at first.

Ahhhhh, I'll bet I know where the infection came from :cross:...... Did you disassemble and sanitize your spigot before before using the bucket as a primary?

Oh yes sure did, I'm usually pretty anal about sanitizing.....something got by obviously. No worries.....brewed a Pumpkin Ale tonight. ;)

Back