a friend wants to learn. favorite is Bell's Two hearted any clone kits available

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnderThePorchBrewing

Reaction score
As the title says, a friend of mine who has been fermenting wine for years has realized he now likes beer,specifically pale ales and IPA's and wants to learn to brew. His favorite is Bell's Two Hearted and wants to try this as his first beer. Does anyone know if there are any companies that sell a clone kit? I've looked and do not see any with the main online retailers but am willing to order from someone else. I do have a recipe from this database and may just convert it to an extract or mini mash and make the "kit" myself if I can not find one to purchase. Does any one know if there are any clone kits available?

Based on your location in OH, I would use the Dead Ringer kit. Northern Brewer will most likely be able to get it shipped to you in 2 days. (Yeast + heat = dead yeast)

I've heard several of the clones from the major online stores are accurate. There is also a nice thread on here with a recipe. It's not a particularly difficult beer to make. I've made a few slightly different version over the years and have been pleased.

If your friend really loved the 2 hearted, he should buy a couple extra ounces of centennial for the dry hop portion in addition to what is in the kit. The 1oz in the kit isn't enough to give that "I can smell the centennial from across the room" aroma of the original.

Also, the kit instructions call for all the LME to be added at the start. The 2 hearted is a pretty light color, so he'll probably get closer if he puts just a portion of the LME in to start and the remainder at the end of the boil.

For fermentation, I think you get the best flavor match when you are down in the 64-65 degree range, but up into the low 70's will still be quite tasty.

I would go with the extract kit over the partial mash for teaching. Besides the extract kit looks good.

Dead ringer is a fantastic beer even my wife loves it. I'm going to brew it again this weekend, I may switch out the dry hops for Citra if I can get them.

Thanks everyone.
will order the dead ringer as I need to order a couple of things from NB for myself
will go with the extract for the basics in teaching
appreciate all the replies
Ben

Back