Break material effect gravity reading?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby1212

Reaction score
I just brewed up a batch and had 2 different gravity readings. The first one was from the top of the carboy and came up as 1.040. Then I took it from the middle of the carboy and got a reading of 1.070! The only thing I can think of is the break material was causing the different reading. Is that true?

Wondering what my gravity should be with using:

.5 lb caramunich
.5 lb crystal 10l
.5 lb victory
1 lb cara pils
7 lb LME
2 lb DME

Steeped specialty grains for 30mins. at 165 degrees
Boiled 3 1/2 gallons wort with all extract.

Thanks

Break material won't make any difference. 99% chance it's lack of mixing & OG readings don't matter with extract anyway. All the extract is in the carboy.

Get a refractometer and you won't have a problem.

When I pull a sample and it's filled with trub, hops, etc., I take a small amount and put it in a 4 time folded napkin, squeeze it out, and get my 3-4 drops of clear wort to test.

You'll love the super fast readings you get. Wont have to wait for wort to cool, plus you'll save a lot of wort.

david_42 said:
OG readings don't matter with extract anyway. All the extract is in the carboy.
:confused:

noob question but

Why don't og readings matter with extract brewing?

oildude said:
:confused:

noob question but

Why don't og readings matter with extract brewing?

They matter in the sense that you want to know what it is so you will know your expected FG. But, the amount of OG point in extract is usually published and does not vary, so you can calculate it on paper and be happy that it is fairly accurate. If you are using all grain, no extract then you have no idea how much sugar you get out of the grain.

Beerrific said:
They matter in the sense that you want to know what it is so you will know your expected FG. But, the amount of OG point in extract is usually published and does not vary, so you can calculate it on paper and be happy that it is fairly accurate. If you are using all grain, no extract then you have no idea how much sugar you get out of the grain.

I didn't know that!

thank you!

Back