Two mashes for one beer?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mew

Reaction score
I had this idea for a belgian tripel style barleywine that would require two mashes. One mash would have a base grain and some specialty malts and would be mashed at a high temperature, the idea being that most of the flavor will come from this mash. A second mash with some six-row and some adjunct grains like corn or rice would be used to add fermentable and would be mashed at a low temperature. By using two mashes instead of one, more or the adjuncts are fermented out than the base grains, hopefully resulting in a better malt profile for high gravity beers. I thought this idea was interesting. What do you think?

It should work quite well. You'd basically be making two beers and blending. You could probably get similar results by mashing everything at once, but you'd need a very large MLT.

I don't know if this will help but its a similar idea I've been wanting to try(its not my own original idea). Mash you first batch of grains at what ever temp you want, sparge as normal. Then remove the used grain and add the new grain, then heat the mash/sparge liquid to the new grains mash temp and use it to mash, then heat the rest to sparge. So you're using the first wort as mash/sparge for the second batch of grain. This would allow you to mash at 2 different temperatures for the different grains.

Good idea and i guess it should work in theory (but everything works in theory, right). The only thing im thinking about is: Would it be worth it (would the flavor profile be that much better) compared to the extra work involved(double mash, double sparge).

EDIT: Oh, the barleywine would already require two mashes. Then yeah, try it out!

I guess I'm wondering if it'd be worth it as far as flavor goes. It'd be a lot easier to dump everything into a huge mash tun.

Back