Lacto infections

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonmohno

Reaction score
So, i think ive gotten them but have bottled with no problems so far. Although i noticed this same white cloudy film on my fermenters ocassionaly latley, Ive seen this pretty badly in my bottle with my pumpkin, does this infection create co2 or does it just sour? This is the first time i seen the crud at the top of the bottles by inspecting it and it sticks with a film to the glass, should i just leave them or should i just cool them when i find them sufficantly carbed, i normally condition mine pretty much through the year but im not shure how this works. I normally just let them condition fully beyond carbonation. Then just refrigerate a few when i want too, a few days.
Ive seen some cloudy filmy stuff on top in my bottles months earlier and have checked them recently and they dont gush or are not overcarbonated after just a few days.Anybody have expericence dealing with this?

Are you having flavor problems? If not, it's probably just the krausen formed during carbonation. Sometimes it drops, sometimes it doesn't. If you're having souring issues, then it could be lacto, along with a number of other problems. I doubt you'll have issues with bottle bombs if it's lacto, but just to be safe, you may want to store them in a plastic container while they're in storage.

No flavor issues so far,no overcarbing with the earlier batches.I thought maybe it had something to do with the s-33 yeast and t-58 and not knowing how the yeast behave, i normally use fermentis' others and danstars mostly.But since they are belgian type yeast, maybe they have different cultures in them??

Back