Cleaning Glass Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Reaction score
I know we are supposed to use Oxi Clean Free (No blue crystals) to clean them, but all I have in the house is OxiClean Versatile Which does have some. As long as I rinse real well can I still use it to clean a carboy that sat with Apfelwein in it? I really don't know what the difference is;* I forgot. Been away from brewing too long I guess.

I clean my carboys with dish soap and a carboy brush. I just make sure to rinse it really well and everything has always been fine.

I wouldn't. Get some pbw or oxyclean free. if you leave it dirty for a couple days until you get the proper cleaner it won't hurt anything.

I wouldn't. Get some pbw or oxyclean free. if you leave it dirty for a couple days until you get the proper cleaner it won't hurt anything.
I have PBW but didn't think it was ok for carboys. I will use that. Thanks guys.

The regular OxiClean will work just fine, you do have to rinse a little better though to get the perfume smell out.

I bottled my first batch this past Sunday. When I was done I partially filled the carboy with water, swirled it, and dumped it just to get the heavy stuff off. There was still that thick nasty ring from the krausen. Then I put a scoop of oxyclean in and filled it to the brim with water. Let it sit for 4 days. Looked at it this morning and the krausen ring was gone, the water was crystal clear, and the only remnant was tiny amounts of brown stuff floating. Dumped it, refilled with plain water, dumped it, and it'snow sparkling clean.

If its glass I wouldn't worry about any cleaner really. Just rinse it well with hot water and sanitize before your next use.

PBW or BRU-ER-EZE for me. Both are same thing. Proper amount in hot water and a couple hour soak leaves carboys squeeky clean, no brushing required. Just rinse well .

I've used regular oxi-clean no problem. Did apfelwein in it just like you and just racked off a wheat. Rinse well. No worries.

BTW I've found the generic brand of oxi-clean free at the dollar tree (everything's a dollar)...

Back