Using Golden Promise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelers77

Vendor
Reaction score
So I brewed a Pale ale this week using Golden Promise. Everything went well but when I was racking to the fermenter I noticed the wort look "milky". I have never used this malt before so is this common?

One other note, I noted when I crushed there was a higher percentage of flour than I usually have with MO or Canadian 2-row. The kernels looked nice and plump.

Did Iodine test to verify conversion was complete
Mash was 152 for 60 min. ( started @ 157 brought down with ice)
Mashout 168
Hybrid Batch sparge.

I've used it several times recently (just bought a sack of it) and haven't noticed the milky thing, but I do get a good bit of flour (but I get a good bit of flour with Maris too). I get a little more dough-balls with it, also comparable to Maris. Only have one light-colored batch that is ready and it is fairly clear considering it's youth and the yeast I used (Bell's yeast harvested from a bottle, which is super fluffy and a low floccer).

I use Golden Promise for my Scottish-style beers (typically a 90/-), and have never had any issues with it. In fact, the last batch was clear as a bell from about the fourth pint pulled from the keg.

does anyone know what might have caused this? i'm about to but 50lbs of the stuff and would like to not have this issue myself. could it have just been an excess of flour from the mash that didnt get filtered out?

It's possible a dough-ball broke up late, hard to say. Steelers did say that the mash "started at 157* F" which is fairly hot and dough-ball-inducing. The hotter you dough-in the more likely you are to get dough-balls.

I did start with a high temp, but I stirred diligently to ensure all dough balls where broken up, and to help bring the temp down. I have this in primary now, I will wait and see if it clears up during fermentation and I will report back.

Fineexample. did you ever get a Pliny pack?

I did start with a high temp, but I stirred diligently to ensure all dough balls where broken up, and to help bring the temp down. I have this in primary now, I will wait and see if it clears up during fermentation and I will report back.

Fineexample. did you ever get a Pliny pack?
ah, no man. i have a pound of hops on ice already. how would i explain another pound to the wife? bad enough i turned our den into a brewery. heh:mug:

Back