Pints For Prostates...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know you're not supposed to get screened till 50 or 40, but what's to stop a 20 or 30 something from getting it??

A finger in your bunghole isn't enough reason to wait? Otherwise, unless you have a strong family history of prostate cancer/issues you aren't the demographic at higher risk.

Back on topic: I certainly hope there is a disclaimer on the bottle instructing that the bottle itself should not be used for a self exam. You know some fool wiil go there and it will go horribly wrong.

A finger in your bunghole isn't enough reason to wait? Otherwise, unless you have a strong family history of prostate cancer/issues you aren't the demographic at higher risk.

Back on topic: I certainly hope there is a disclaimer on the bottle instructing that the bottle itself should not be used for a self exam. You know some fool wiil go there and it will go horribly wrong.

I know a finger in the bum would be uncomfortable, but not as uncomfortbale as cancer.

And yes,

*This bottle is not a prostate examiner* :)

I know a finger in the bum would be uncomfortable, but not as uncomfortbale as cancer.

And yes,

*This bottle is not a prostate examiner* :)

I went for physical and was preparred for the worst. Doc didn't even suggest going there. And I expressed my relief. he said "well, I can do the exame on you if you like but, I warn you, I play piano".

He further explained that post 40 has the highest occurence and that most of the issues are that machismo prevents most men from getting the exam at 40 thus obliterating any chance of early detection.

In fact, most of the guys I have known that had issues never had the exam until they had issues.

A friend of mine is going through the whole prostate cancer thing now and he is still in his 30's. But locally he is almost 20 years younger than the next prostate cancer patient.

I lost my Dad to prostate cancer at the young age of 69. I have been getting a PSA & DRE every year since I was 40. So far so good. If you're over 50 & haven't been checked you're just rollin' the dice.

I went for physical and was preparred for the worst. Doc didn't even suggest going there. And I expressed my relief. he said "well, I can do the exame on you if you like but, I warn you, I play piano".

He further explained that post 40 has the highest occurence and that most of the issues are that machismo prevents most men from getting the exam at 40 thus obliterating any chance of early detection.

In fact, most of the guys I have known that had issues never had the exam until they had issues.

Moooon-River!

...and the schwincter is not a bottle opener...;)

Schwing!

that depends entirely on the species

Squirrel2a.jpg

I just had my first exam a couple weeks ago. No big deal. But then again, my doctor is a woman with smallish woman fingers. I did ask her if she could see the exit only sign back there.

There's a doctor near me that gives free exams any time you want. Only problem is that after the chloroform wears off I feel really groggy stepping down out of the van and it is hurts to sit down for a couple days.

With respect to the thread title: Too many pints will cause me to go PROSTRATE... but it won't affect my PROSTATE.

I had prostate issues (non-cancer) at about 38... GF took me to the ER at 3am and they catheterized me; they removed a liter of urine from my bladder (!). I was on the Flomax for a year until it stopped working, and then had surgery.

If a doctor recommends a cystoscopy, run crying. At least for the second one, I had a cute nurse handling my junk... even better since my GF was in the room :cross:.

[rant]
Being an EMT that's worked in 2 different (rather busy) hospitals in his career, I love how some guys are so ready to cringe at the prospect of a few moments of awkward-ness as opposed to getting a potentially life-saving detection method over & done with.

For story's sake, I recall a particularly stoic (i.e. redneck/hillbilliy/farmer-joe) gent that came in with acute abdominal & groin pain, fever-like symptoms and urinary issues for god-knows-how-many-weeks. It was actually his GF that slapped him around a few times in order to get him to go in the first place. Turns out his prostate was so overgrown that a) he wasn't able to take a whizz for over 6 days...think about that...and b) this massive amount of pee that was stored for such a long time had begun to stagnate inside his bladder.

Long story short, he came out of it +1 cath bag and -1 prostate/part of a urethra. He can no longer do the dirty deed, I might add.

And he was about 38-ish when he came in.

[/rant]

[rant]
For story's sake, I recall a particularly stoic (i.e. redneck/hillbilliy/farmer-joe) gent that came in with acute abdominal & groin pain, fever-like symptoms and urinary issues for god-knows-how-many-weeks. It was actually his GF that slapped him around a few times in order to get him to go in the first place. Turns out his prostate was so overgrown that a) he wasn't able to take a whizz for over 6 days...think about that...and b) this massive amount of pee that was stored for such a long time had begun to stagnate inside his bladder.

Long story short, he came out of it +1 cath bag and -1 prostate/part of a urethra. He can no longer do the dirty deed, I might add.

And he was about 38-ish when he came in.

[/rant]

No, that wasn't me... Heck, the pressure build-up for half a day was far too much.

That's cool. For a minute there, I was afraid I'd have to call my lawyer to find out whether or not I'd just been offended. :D

I started asking my doctor about it last year, before I turned 40. He said that insurance company doesn't start paying for it until 40 and there is only a small chance of having an issue before then. He starts asking questions about your pee rate and whatnot at a much younger age, just to help the odds.

I turned 40 this year and got my exam. No big deal, but I sort of expected at least a dinner out of it. Cheapskate!

Back