old yeast experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I am bored so I decided to se if I could activate some very old yeast I have here. I have 3 packets from some old kits that were found. One is 2 years old, one is 4 years old and one is from a MR beer kit I told you guys about that is evidently at least ten years old... I mixed up some warm sugar water and sprinkled the yeast on top in three seperate bowls. Any bets on what happens?

Did you cover them with plastic wrap? That will prevent them from getting airborne goodies. Also, sterilize a fork, and stir them up. Let us know what happens. - Dwain

Did you cover them with plastic wrap? That will prevent them from getting airborne goodies. Also, sterilize a fork, and stir them up. Let us know what happens. - Dwain

covered with cloths.. I will go cover em with saran

two year old yeast is going gangbusters....other two are sinking to the bottom and doing nothing.

The 4 year old stuff is starting to wake up. I am getting some activity with some bubbling nd a small amount of foam.....AND believe it or not there is a TINY amount of foam on top of the ten year old batch.

two year old is going crazy.....4 year old is bubbling a little bit and the ten year old stuff is doing nothing except the tiny bit of foam I told about earlier.

This is a pretty interesting experiment. Have you looked into how to store these for future use? That is something I haven't gotten into yet, but plan to research it and save some from a brew for future use.

This is a pretty interesting experiment. Have you looked into how to store these for future use? That is something I haven't gotten into yet, but plan to research it and save some from a brew for future use.

no desire to store em or save em....I am too clueless. And at a couple bucks a packet its easier to just buy it.......for now.

Back