Video Games

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, a horror game with an app for your cell phone... strange calls/texts, etc. Upping the immersion factor.

I know, I could see a lot of potential under modern console capabilities, especially with the 4th wall-breaking stuff. Say, your character encounters a dead body and searches it for clues. Upon closer inspection, it turns out the body has your (the player's) face, which has been covertly scanned and mapped by your Kinect as you played. Or you get a dummy achievement notification from the console which, when opened, pops up some kind jump scare imagery or sound.

The right developer could probably have some insidious fun with the concept.

I would absolutely love to see this kind of game made... I'm an adrenaline junky in many ways lol and I am pretty much always in search of a truly scary game. I enjoyed Outlast, though it wasn't extremely scary and I was very disappointed in Amnesia.

I just googled that game out of curiosity...

"Stardew Valley is an indie farming simulation role-playing video game developed by ConcernedApe and published by Chucklefish Games."

dude-i-have-a-great-idea-give-me-a-pen-and-some-pencil-thumb.jpg

I have no clue what this means lol

I have no clue what this means lol

Sorry, was just being a jerk because it said "indie farming game" and "ConcernedApe and published by Chucklefish Games" in the same sentence.

Speaking of games attached to your phone... Anyone remember Who Framed Roger Rabbit on NES? My grandma rented it for me when I was little, and there was a part in the game that you could call Jessica Rabbit on the phone. It took me forever to get grandmas rotary phone to dial the correct number, only to find out the number was no longer active. Did anyone ever get to talk to her?

Bought The Division. Son wanted to play it too.

bless I am sick of all this age gate and secondary online accounts bullsh!t.

That game sounded pretty sweet, and got me thinking about buying an XBO again. And then I watched a few gameplay videos. Bullet-sponge enemies are bullet sponges. It shouldn't take multiple headshots to bring a guy down. Kinda ruins the immersion factor for me.

That game sounded pretty sweet, and got me thinking about buying an XBO again. And then I watched a few gameplay videos. Bullet-sponge enemies are bullet sponges. It shouldn't take multiple headshots to bring a guy down. Kinda ruins the immersion factor for me.

Yeah, I saw that too but figured it's not much different than any other Loot Shooter. Bought it more for my son, but I will play it too.

Yeah, I saw that too but figured it's not much different than any other Loot Shooter. Bought it more for my son, but I will play it too.

It definitely looks like it's supposed to be more along the lines of Destiny or Borderlands by the gameplay. I think I was just expecting more of a realistic tactical shooter based on the Tom Clancy name.

It definitely looks like it's supposed to be more along the lines of Destiny or Borderlands by the gameplay. I think I was just expecting more of a realistic tactical shooter based on the Tom Clancy name.

Me too. I have read, in several places, that the AI of this game is top notch and learns the players habits. So, that should be interesting. I've also read that the PvP area is NOT leveled/matched. So, that should prove interesting too.

The Division seems alright, and looks good, but it just hasn't done anything to really entice me to buy it so far.

I haven't had much time the past couple weeks for games. Played a bit of Diablo last night though and decided that I'll make a second seasonal character. Probably a Demon Hunter, since I love the class. Even though it'll be my... fourth? Maybe I should make a wizard.

I think imma roll a Wizard and pally today. Hopefully I can find some 1337 gears.

Going to sell my computer and buy that.

It's not as in-depth as a standard D&D ruleset.

It's like... extremely stripped down 4E rules. So, there are 5 heroes with stats that never change unless they level (they can level once during a game)... monsters/encounters are handled by a deck, so no need for a GM/DM. Not real conducive to actual role playing, but it's a fun game.

Skills are chosen at the start, and you're off.

If your character ends on the edge of a tile, you pick up a new one (face down) and place it where the arrow shows. A monster card is drawn and the monster is placed on the board (there's a handy scorch mark for placement).

I solo play all the time, up to all 5 characters at once, but that gets a little crazy to manage.

No initiative or skill checks, just a handy hierarchy in which heroes move/attack first, then villains/monsters.

There is also an encounter deck... whenever a new tile is placed, a random encounter is set off, could be poison darts, or lava walls or 2 monsters appear, what-have-you. Adds a little spice.

Oh, did I mention there are treasure cards so you can get 1337 G34RZ?

Oh, did I mention there are treasure cards so you can get 1337 G34RZ?

I saw the treasure pile in your picture. I'm definitely funking intrigued. If it's that easy, it sounds reminiscent of Hero Quest. I could definitely talk my friends into this.

I saw the treasure pile in your picture. I'm definitely funking intrigued. If it's that easy, it sounds reminiscent of Hero Quest. I could definitely talk my friends into this.

Good luck. Mine called me a nerd and bailed after the first 30 mins.

Maybe I shouldn't have been doing the dragon voice.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/66356/dungeons-dragons-wrath-ashardalon-board-game

There are two other versions using the same system, Castle Ravenloft and Legend of Drizzt. Haven't played either of those.

Just set one up and narrate for us. I'll be the cleric. Lawful Evil please.

And you're already giving it more depth than there is... lol. No alignments here, just classes. They do have some racial traits, but doesn't really matter since each class is a different race.

You can combine heroes from the other games, then it comes into play a bit more, but not much really.

Also, I have moderated a Play By Forum game of this and still have the tilesets (I believe).

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/726197/mysterious-chamber/page/1

This particular game died because two people PM'd me saying they couldn't play for whatever reason and I just said flocc it.

It was a loooooooot of work, lol. If you're bored, this'll easily kill a half hour, haha.

You really can't let me be a lawful evil cleric? Man FUNK this game.
You're the worst DM ever. No wonder your friends quit.

Nerd.

Lawful evil cleric!? That's my character! A lawful evil Battle Cleric Grey Dwarf by the name of Hamsterlegs.

Actually retired now and is an NPC my friends back in TX use as the main villain in their game haha

Lawful evil cleric!? That's my character! A lawful evil Battle Cleric Grey Dwarf by the name of Hamsterlegs.

Bleh. Dwarves. Dark elves for me. Name is funny.. the first time I tried to play with my friends, I was so confused. My buddy used his character from a previous session who was a few levels ahead of us already. Bullshiiticus the minotaur warrior. Was hillarious in high school.

Bleh. Dwarves. Dark elves for me. Name is funny.. the first time I tried to play with my friends, I was so confused. My buddy used his character from a previous session who was a few levels ahead of us already. Bullshiiticus the minotaur warrior. Was hillarious in high school.

That's awesome lol I made a great impression with my first D&D group as Hamsterlegs because one of them was a dark elf and I got on my knees (cause dwarf and all) and walked on my knees over to him and yelled "You dirty Drow!" in a gruff dwarf voice.

The guys face was priceless, and we had to take a break from the game cause everyone was laughing so much. We were also a bit inebriated haha

That's awesome lol I made a great impression with my first D&D group as Hamsterlegs because one of them was a dark elf and I got on my knees (cause dwarf and all) and walked on my knees over to him and yelled "You dirty Drow!" in a gruff dwarf voice.

The guys face was priceless, and we had to take a break from the game cause everyone was laughing so much. We were also a bit inebriated haha

One of my friends has tried to recruit me a couple times to play D&D. I've always refused, saying it didn't really interest me all that much. I'd be afraid I wouldn't take it seriously enough, and would get drunk and snarky and annoy everyone else.

If this is typical, maybe I would fit in after all. :goat:

One of my friends has tried to recruit me a couple times to play D&D. I've always refused, saying it didn't really interest me all that much. I'd be afraid I wouldn't take it seriously enough, and would get drunk and snarky and annoy everyone else.

Every time my buddy would play d&d, he said theyd get in like 3 dice rolls and then everyone would be too drunk/other things to pay attention to what was going on. Same thing happened whenever we played scrabble though. I remember looking down at the board and the central word everything was branched off of was like LORKSING

Depends how hard you want to role play.

You can have fun with it or you can be a stuffy nerd. I mean, it's still pretty gad damn nerdy... but you know.

When I finally hosted D&D campouts in the woods with my friends, they never really took it as seriously as I would have liked. I'd spend all week writing elaborate adventures for them so that when we started playing, everything was smooth and they didn't have to do anything but make decisions and roll dice. One guy, of course, the thief of the group took it extremely serious. The other two, did not. Bullshiiticus thought his character was more powerful than he actually was, which ended up being entertaining at times and I was able to work with it. The other guy just kept asking for things like "Boots of Screw You, You Can't Hit Me". He made it tough to stay serious.

Haha depends on your group. My group just played to have fun, some people take it too serious. We pretty much got drunk every time we played D&D. That's one of the most fun things ever is having a group of drunk friends role playing xD I miss it

Depends how hard you want to role play.

You can have fun with it or you can be a stuffy nerd. I mean, it's still pretty gad damn nerdy... but you know.

Haha depends on your group. My group just played to have fun, some people take it too serious. We pretty much got drunk every time we played D&D. That's one of the most fun things ever is having a group of drunk friends role playing xD I miss it

I've never seen them play, but there's one guy in the group that is kind of a richard in general and would probably get butthurt if things got too goofy.

I've never seen them play, but there's one guy in the group that is kind of a richard in general and would probably get butthurt if things got too goofy.

Yeah, I wouldn't be able to play with someone like that lol I'm a goofy person naturally and I take very few things seriously, especially when it comes to games. If not for fun, then why do you play games?

Get drunk, act a fool, laugh at yourself and everyone else and just plain have a good time lol

Me and my buddies tried to play D&D a few times back in high school, but every time it ended with one or more of us getting distracted/running out of time/not taking it seriously/whatever and the game always fizzled out after the first few dice rolls. I've yet to actually play through a proper D&D game. I should see if there's any groups around here. Always enjoyed the D&D based video games though (Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, etc).

A few years ago me and a couple buddies played a pretty cool Game of Thrones RPG, but after a few hours and too many beers it devolved into one guy basically just trying to have sex with every NPC and monster we encountered. Probably would have been better too if I wasn't the DM, as I don't have as great an imagination for this sort of thing as others.

Me and my buddies tried to play D&D a few times back in high school, but every time it ended with one or more of us getting distracted/running out of time/not taking it seriously/whatever and the game always fizzled out after the first few dice rolls. I've yet to actually play through a proper D&D game. I should see if there's any groups around here. Always enjoyed the D&D based video games though (Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, etc).

A few years ago me and a couple buddies played a pretty cool Game of Thrones RPG, but after a few hours and too many beers it devolved into one guy basically just trying to have sex with every NPC and monster we encountered. Probably would have been better too if I wasn't the DM, as I don't have as great an imagination for this sort of thing as others.

Yeah I leave the DMing up to others lol I like to just play a character. Also there's always that one guy who gets drunk and tries to have sex with everything in sight xP at least it fits the game of thrones theme

Back