Hefe Weizen Clarity question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fsinger

Reaction score
Hey guys. Brewing my first HefeWeizen and have a question. I racked it out of my frementer to a carboy so I could watch the last of the fermentation, and it is a very cloudy brew. Beautiful gold but cloudy color, excellent taste, just perfect except for the extra cloudiness at this stage. (I use a partial grain technique)

I think when I buy HefeWeizen out in the pubs it is more cloudy than other ales, but I'm not sure. Should I leave it and just figure that is the nature of a Weizen brew, or should I use some clarifier? I put some Irish Moss in the wort at the last 15 minutes of the boil (one tsp), but that's all the clarification strategy I have used. I want to keep the good body and "mouth feel" of my other brews, so hate to do anything radical.

Is this normal for a wheat beer?

Hefes are cloudy. It's characteristic of wheat beers. I just brewed a wit and didn't use any irish moss to keep more cloudiness.

As Kephren said, hefe's are cloudy, maily due to the flaked wheat in the boil and the low-flocculating yeasts inherent to the style. Sounds like you're just where you should be!

If you look around, you'll find another variety called "cristalweissen". It's the same thing, but filtered for clarity.

Actually, the Hefe Weizen should be clear until you put the hefe (yeast) in there. Even in Germany they'll ask you "mit oder ohne hefe?" (with or without the yeast?"

Meanwhile Kristall is always filtered and "crystal" clear.

I've been drinking HW since my first day in Germany in Feb 1975!

My Hefeweizen turned out nice and clear. I was a little bit shocked. But a nice swirl of the bottle when you're pouring into the glass will kick up the yeast and give me that cloudy, slightly tart yeast flavor that I'm looking for.

I did make the mistake of putting Irish Moss in it. Oh well. The beer is still good.

As usual, great information! Thanks to all for the answers, I learn something every time I leave a question here. In fact, if it weren't for this forum I would have given up on brewing several months ago. A couple of comments lead me to start brewing the best beer I have ever tasted - because it is just what I like.

About hefeweizen - I'm going to bottle cloudy and enjoy it as it is supposed to be. I remember buying some Canadian Hefe in the bottle, and being told by the clerk (it was a brewery outlet) to be sure to "shake the hefe" before pouring. That defies all that I have learned about pouring home brew!

I think this one will be a winner with my family.

Back