planning the bar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azrack

Reaction score
So I got ordered to clean off the carport and get all my brewing gear put somewhere. So we are building a new storage shed and turning our Fla room into a bar/brew area. And I will post pics and questions as we progress.

My primary quetion atm is on bar dispensing. Would it be better to run from a standing fridge or build some kind of under bar cooling system. She has expressed she wants a proper pub. So I was thinking something with a A/C unit and insulated like a mini walk in cooler just big enough for 4-6 kegs any thoughts? Ideas?

Im thinking this over a freezer conversion because of temp controllers and access.

Thanks,
Az~

How far away will the mini-walk in be away from the dispensing taps? Will the taps be on the bar?

Well the plan in my mind was to have the mini under tha bar it would not be a walk in but built like one. It would be under that bar with the bar top being standard height. It would be large enough for 4-6 kegs and the taps would come out directly above.

Its had to imagine that a craigslist chest freezer wouldn't be cheaper initially and cheaper to run long term. Put it on casters and you're set...

I can understand wanting to make the pseudo-walk-in, but from an efficiency standpoint, the freezer is going to be your best bet. One of the big problems with even an mini-fridge is that if it is not properly sealed, or every time you open it to check a keg, the cold air is lost. Versus a freezer where the cold air sinks to the bottom and hold it. My concern would be mounting the AC unit, and the amount of heat the individual unit gives off.

EDIT: This is one of the builds I looked at a while back, might give you some ideas.

http://www.alenuts.com/Alenuts/bar_build.html

I would go with a chest freezer also. If you are diligent to CL you can find a great deal. I just missed out on a 7 cu ft yesterday for $35 so I settled for a 9 cu ft for $100. Plus I was able to pick up a 20# C02 tank for $80. Next up is acquiring the dispensing hardware.

Sorry for the delay in response thanks for the ideas and opinions I guess we start hunting for a freezer

I didn't go with a chest freezer because I didn't want people having to lift 50lbish kegs up and in. Down here in hunting/fishing country freezers are always costly or hard to catch so I was pondering other options.

So if I went with a standard chest freezer I guess 15cf would hold 6 kegs and on casters where it can roll out from under the bar. Or the whole top of the bar would have to rise up at least in that section which is doable but shes wanting a l shaped one thats about 6 feet long on the long side and about 3 on the short. Again I ask ideas, thoughts?

Back