Who's planning an Oktoberfest??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceedubya

Reaction score
last year I procrastinated and didnt' get it done in time so my Oktoberfest turned into a Christmas lager :eek:

So I want to get a jump start on it this year. Last years was OK, but I know i can do better.

How many of you have an Oktoberfest celebration planned for this year? what are you brewing? recipe?

last year I procrastinated and didnt' get it done in time so my Oktoberfest turned into a Christmas lager :eek:
Same thing for me last year, only I was able to have Rye, Stout and Smoked Porter ready for the Christmas holidays, so the Octoberfest never go hit.

Not sure if it's a good idea, but my new plan is to leave it in the basement until this October.

But if the kegerator runs dry this summer, all bets are off . . . . . . :drunk:

I actually plan an neighborhood Oktobefest every year and brew my Oktoberfest Ale for it about 3 months out. I'll be brewing it very soon.

Hmmm, I made my Oktoberfest in March. It's sitting happily in my lagering fridge and is going to stay there until September.

EDIT: Correction; I made it in late February at the SEWAGE brewday.

I made my Oktoberfest a few weeks ago-- I bring it to my alma mater's homecoming in October and my friends and I have a pretty good time. This will be the third year in a row, so we're approaching tradition territory :).

The first time I brewed an Oktoberfest it was late August-- a bit late to the party. Last year, I brewed it at the end of June. This year, end of May. I'm getting closer to actually brewing it in March... maybe next year!

My recipe is extract with partial mash-- maybe I'll post it later and finally have my first recipe up on HBT...

-Steve

Hate to tell you this, but you are technically 3 months late on your Oktoberfest plans.

Oktoberfest is a marzen style... 'marzen' means "March". O'fests are traditionally brewed in March, and then they age until the 'fest' in October.

Not that you can't pull it off, but it may not be 'prime' drinking in 4 months.

Brewing in March for October drinking..... Dang...dang dang.

Thats a long time and I don't have the ability to store the qty of beer to support brewing that early. I'd need 4-5 more kegs and a much bigger chest cooler to keep them in for that time, as my Kegerator only holds 2 and they go dry in less than 2 months... if I'm the only one drinking them.

Hmmmm guess I really need to get on that Garage expansion and plumb it for beer making and storage..... Dreams in the works for friday night! :ban:

Latest posts

Back