Irish Stout Irish Car Bomb Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good. How much whiskey u using? What type? Get ur vanilla beans soaking. Also ull need to let it condition for a while to lessen some of the alcohol burn.

Looks good. How much whiskey u using? What type? Get ur vanilla beans soaking. Also ull need to let it condition for a while to lessen some of the alcohol burn.

i will be using either a 5th or a liter of jameson. i will also be infusing the whiskey with cocoa to give it a more chocolatey hint.

Hey everyone - first post here. I plan to brew this stout first, cutting the batch in half. Will update. Thanks for all the notes and comments!

bre2ts said:
i will be using either a 5th or a liter of jameson. i will also be infusing the whiskey with cocoa to give it a more chocolatey hint.

Bro that will probably too much whiskey. I was at 20 oz and that was plenty. Need to make to balance it all. I would add some malto if I did it again. Also use some carapills and barley and oatmeal flaked. Made a whiskey stout w those and the head stand is phenom. Much better than the carbomb recipe I used.

Bro that will probably too much whiskey. I was at 20 oz and that was plenty. Need to make to balance it all. I would add some malto if I did it again. Also use some carapills and barley and oatmeal flaked. Made a whiskey stout w those and the head stand is phenom. Much better than the carbomb recipe I used.

ok so i will be using bushmills instead of jameson since our base doesnt seem to have any or know when they will be getting more.

20oz of whiskey
2 vanilla beans sliced and diced
1 1/4 tsp of vanilla extract
1 1/2 tbsp of hersheys natural unsweetened cocoa powder

i am using both extract an bean infusion because people were talking about not having enough vanilla flavor. i am adding the cocoa to give it a more chocolatey flavor.

i was also thinking of adding some vanilla bean to the last 5 minutes of boil for aroma, what do you guys think?

If u soak the cut beans in the whiskey for 2 weeks or more u will get good vanilla flavor especially initially. That seems like a lot of vanilla extract to add in addition.

Cool it will be soaking for about 2 weeks maybe a little more.

I was reading the vanilla stout recipe and it saids to add 2 1/2 tbsp in the secondary. Maybe something like that but less.

Also maybe adding some in the last 5 mins of boil for aroma?

Hey All, OP here.

Gonna brew an updated recipe tomorrow...

FERMENTABLES:
5 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Light (50%)
1.5 lb - American - Chocolate (15%)
1 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (10%)
1 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (10%)
8 oz - American - Roasted Barley (5%)
8 oz - Flaked Oats (5%)
8 oz - Lactose (Milk Sugar) (5%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Fuggles for 60 min
1 oz - Fuggles for 15 min

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
2 each - Vanilla Beans, Type: Flavor, Use: Secondary
12 oz - Irish Whiskey, Type: Flavor, Use: Secondary
8oz - Oak Chips, Type: Flavor, Use: Secondary
1 tbsp - Irish Moss, Time: 15 min, Type: Other, Use: Boil

Soak oak chips and vanilla beans in Jameson's during fermentation, add to fermented beer and condition for 3-4 weeks. Ready just in time for St. Paddy's Day!

Hey OP,

Boiling my wort for the original recipe RIGHT NOW...... You mentioned in the original recipe "get vanilla beans" and then later there was a statement about tripling the amount of vanilla beans.... Then in this updated recipe you call for 1-2, does that include the tripling in your opinion or is this still pretty strong vanilla with 1-2? CAN NOT WAIT to try this. Thanks for the recipe!!

This recipe sounds perfect. OP, how toasted are your oak chips? does it matter? I've never used oak chips in my brews before

OK, so, this weekend I'll be moving this to the secondary. Did you drop the vanilla beans in with the oak chips and the Jameson into the secondary or pull those out? Will it hurt it to just throw the beans in the secondary? Been catching little whiffs of this every couple days (the jameson, oak chips and vanilla beans) and it smells AWESOME. I'm pretty stoked to see how this turns out.

One other question. I used the 12 ounces of Jameson with the 8 ounces of oak chips, it's definitely not totally immersed. i.e. the oak chips aren't floating in Jameson. Is that how it's supposed to be, the ratio there just doesn't seem quite right, but I'm sure it'll still turn out well.

My batch has been bottled for just over a week, I KNOW it's not carbonated, but it's killing me wanting to crack a bottle open and try it finished. Damn you patience, damn you science, why can't you work in my favor?!?!?!?!

Fact. My bottles might explode. They are already carbonated... And delish.

image-2660386724.jpg

This is my first time posting on here and this was my second brew. I'm drinking one right now as of 1.5 weeks after bottling and it's already delicious! It's not fully carbonated yet but I'm hoping by St. Pattys it will be good enough to serve. Thank you all for the input.

Looks awesome. If your getting any harsness from the jameson I would suggest michael collins. 5 bucks more but imo much much less harsh.

also some lactose may be a good addition for this as well

I don't know why my text didnt show up in the last post. But I wanted to say...this has been aged for about a month and it's absolutely delicious. I'm having a party Saturday for St Pattys and I'm sure this is going to be gone in no time.

Going to brew this up tomorrow with my Dad and bro-in-law. Can wait cause this sounds amazing. The people at our local brew store were all intrigued.

Guess this is going to be next. Never brewed a stout or porter. Thoughts on adding lactose? If so, how much? Thanks

I'm real new to the brewing scene, but this recipe looks like something doable and very drinkable.....Heading out for the ingredients, wish me well....Brewbob52

I did extract w this and whisky and vanilla. Was my first beer. One of the guys in my beer club really liked it. My layman friends are scared if it.

Definitely a great early brew. Ours have been aging in the bottle for a month and it really is getting better with age.

This has now been aging for about 1 1/2 months. It is aging BEAUTIFULLY. This can go quick.

I still have about 6 from October. Haven't tried them for months But the beer judge in my brew club liked it.

Getting together ingredients for this beer now. Very excited. This will be my first time straying from a published, tried and true recipe. My question is this: How does the Jameson affect the amount of fermentables, and in turn, how much priming sugar have you all (who are bottling) add when you bottle?

Adam

Well I added my whisky at time of bottle. I wouldnt think it would add anything other than increase the alcohol level.

I added mine to secondary so 99% of fermentation was complete. I carb stouts on the low side so less than 5 oz for 5 gallon

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but looking into trying my hand at making this AG. I made a Dry Irish Stout from an extract kit and added Jamison to the secondary a couple years ago. It turned out awesome and everyone loved it. Looking to do as AG this time, and also improve the recipe by monkeying with the ingredients some.

How does this look?

7.0 LB - US 2-Row
1.0 LB - Roasted Barley
0.5 LB - Flaked Oats
0.5 LB - Chocolate Malt
0.5 LB - Crystal 60L

2.0 OZ - East Kent Goldings @ 60 mins

WYeast 1084 - Irish Ale

BeerSmith puts this at 1.050 SG, 39.3 IBUs, 5% ABV (before Jamison) which is in range for this style of beer.

While fermenting, will take 2 vanilla beans slit down the middle and soak in 2 cups of Jamison. When time to secondary, pouring beer over beans/jamison mixture to age for a couple of weeks before kegging.

Couple of questions though. I have some year old hops in the back of my fridge (~30F). I'd like to use if they are still good. If so, which would you guys suggest to use for this? I picked Kent Goldings. But I also have some Admiral, Magnum, Citra, Perle, and Tettnang. Don't want it to be too bitter, and didn't want the citra taste in this one. I can always purchase new stuff if another would be better for this.

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but looking into trying my hand at making this AG. I made a Dry Irish Stout from an extract kit and added Jamison to the secondary a couple years ago. It turned out awesome and everyone loved it. Looking to do as AG this time, and also improve the recipe by monkeying with the ingredients some.

How does this look?

7.0 LB - US 2-Row
1.0 LB - Roasted Barley
0.5 LB - Flaked Oats
0.5 LB - Chocolate Malt
0.5 LB - Crystal 60L

2.0 OZ - East Kent Goldings @ 60 mins

WYeast 1084 - Irish Ale

BeerSmith puts this at 1.050 SG, 39.3 IBUs, 5% ABV (before Jamison) which is in range for this style of beer.

While fermenting, will take 2 vanilla beans slit down the middle and soak in 2 cups of Jamison. When time to secondary, pouring beer over beans/jamison mixture to age for a couple of weeks before kegging.

Couple of questions though. I have some year old hops in the back of my fridge (~30F). I'd like to use if they are still good. If so, which would you guys suggest to use for this? I picked Kent Goldings. But I also have some Admiral, Magnum, Citra, Perle, and Tettnang. Don't want it to be too bitter, and didn't want the citra taste in this one. I can always purchase new stuff if another would be better for this.

I did this recipe all-grain a few weeks ago. I wanted to match Guinness as closely as possible to try and replicate a true car bomb. Mine looked like this:

6 lbs. Maris Otter
3 lbs. Flaked Barley
1 lb. Roasted Barley
1/2 lb. Lactose @ Flameout

2 oz East Kent Goldings @ 60min (5.6% AA)

This gave me a OG: of 1.046 and 33 IBU

I also soured a Guinness the week before and added it at flameout to help replicate that Guinness tang.

I had got this recipe from a handful of recipes for brewing a Guinness clone. All that being said, I think your recipe will be in the ballpark. As for the hops questions, how have they been stored? If they were in their original packaging then I believe they are flushed with nitrogen and should be fine. If you vacuum sealed them they should also be fine. IF they are just sitting in ziploc bags, I would toss them and get some new ones!

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks for the feedback :)

Sadly, I was going to brew last night but we've been without power since yesterday now because of Nika. Will attempt this brew soon!

Sorry to ask a rookie question......how much sugar do you put in the bottling bucket at bottle time? Thanks.......

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Sorry to ask a rookie question......how much sugar do you put in the bottling bucket at bottle time? Thanks.......

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

This is your new best friend: http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

It depends on how much beer you have, and what sugar you are using, but for 5 gallons of a sweet stout you want 3.23oz of corn sugar. In general, corn sugar is what is referred to as "priming sugar".

Back