Planning on going Pro!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucasszy

Reaction score
So its been amost three years since I started brewing and the bug has bitten me. I've talked it over with family, friends, and others, and Im really thinking of going pro.

Nothing specific yet, but I've started negotiating for a 10HL brewhouse. I've talked to local bars in the San Francisco and San Jose area, as well as a few Places in Napa that will happily carry my beer.

I've read all the threads and posts, and know (somewhat) how hard it will be. I've got a good enough amount of money readily available to be able to operate at a loss for a bit over a year, all the while keeping my day job, and having a sales person, and a part time brewer on staff.

I've got recipes that everyones loves, and done a bit of local market research into what sells in this area, and what people are looking for.

its the perfect time, I posit, since industrial real estate prices are so low that they're giving space away.

So in a nut shell, here is what I am shooting at for the start.

1. kegs only of courese, sold directly to bars (lined up already), hotels (lined up already), and a few clubs (lined up already).
2. Industrial space in the 2500 sFt region.
3. A 10HL brew system with lagering capabilities
4. Started the process of all the necessary paperwork.

Check out the link to the very basic Facebook page. Nothing specific there, but the conversation is started.

Brewery will be called Shizmo Brewering Company.

Cheers

Lucas

Good luck..
Looks like you have done your hard work.. Now all you need is a LOGO and start branding yourself ;)

Good luck with your endeavor. I have to say though, that loss for only a year might be unrealistic. Brewing is not a windfall of money, and it takes a while to get to profitability. If your beer is good enough, though, I say go for it and do the best you can. The more beer the merrier!

Jealous. I want to do the same thing out in TN eventually. I wish you all the luck in the world. If you don't mind me asking:

1. How old are you?

2. How did you garner your start up capital?

3. When woiuld you like to start producing bottled beer? I'm under the assumption that this is the best way to get your brewery's name out there.

isn't CA a three tier distribution state?

sold directly to bars (lined up already), hotels (lined up already), and a few clubs (lined up already).

Is it legal for the brewery to sell beer directly to the establishments ?

California

License to self-distribute: Yes

Business & Professions Code, Div.9

A holder of a beer manufacturers license can sell to a licensed retailer. No restrictions on production size or on-premise (brewpubs). Holders of a Type 75 Brewpub license with liquor may only distribute through a licensed wholesaler.

California

License to self-distribute: Yes

Business & Professions Code, Div.9

A holder of a beer manufacturers license can sell to a licensed retailer. No restrictions on production size or on-premise (brewpubs). Holders of a Type 75 Brewpub license with liquor may only distribute through a licensed wholesaler.

cool :mug:

Jealous. I want to do the same thing out in TN eventually. I wish you all the luck in the world. If you don't mind me asking:

1. How old are you?

2. How did you garner your start up capital?

3. When woiuld you like to start producing bottled beer? I'm under the assumption that this is the best way to get your brewery's name out there.

1. Im 35.

2. Startup capital is a mix of my own money, loans, and investments.

3. Bottled beer introduces the need to have labels and a somewhat expensive bottling line setup. Initially I only want to get it out to a bars in kegs, then after a while I'd like to start bottle distribution. Comes down to money money money!

3. Bottled beer introduces the need to have labels and a somewhat expensive bottling line setup. Initially I only want to get it out to a bars in kegs, then after a while I'd like to start bottle distribution. Comes down to money money money!

a half dozen labeled, empty bottles sitting on a table is, in my opinion, great brand-building for the consumer. Kegged beer puts a lot of trust in bar staff to promote your beer over the established, better sellers. And - if it does sell (and I hope it does!) - will people remember the BRAND...or just what was on promotion tasted great?

just something to think about :D

Best of luck to you! As someone who sits in a cubicle all day dreaming of doing exactly what you're doing, it's nice to see someone actually make the leap.

Also, I think you should stick with "brewering" company, it's unique.

Best of luck to you! As someone who sits in a cubicle all day dreaming of doing exactly what you're doing, it's nice to see someone actually make the leap.

i sit in a cubicle all day as well. I just dont think I want to do that for too long. I'd rather sit in a dingy brewery all day AND ALL NIGHT, but know its mine. Same headaches, except you own them all! Is that really that much better.

Great luck! Keep us Yay Area peoples posted, so we can start drinking the Shizmo when it hits!

Good luck! Sounds like you are doing the right things. And I have to give a prost to a fellow cuber that is going pro. Don't for get the going pro group here, are you posting there?

Sounds like you have done your homework and I wish you well! That would be pretty much my dream job....:mug:

FYI...I have a friend that has a brewpub and he only does ales due to the time it takes to produce a lager. He has very limited space so he is turning his inventory very quickly. He also only kegs and sells to hotels, local ballbpark, etc. He's done very well.

Best of Luck!

Get the largest system you can. It's roughly the same amount of work to brew a 10 bbl as it is a 40 bbl. You need to sell a lot of beer to cover overhead.

Plan for the time in between getting the Brewery set up and waiting for the licensing. This can take quite awhile. One of the big issues that hurts Breweries is they get set up and fall short on capital.

Talk to some local Breweries. The craft brewing community is real supportive.

I wish you luck and hope this works out. :mug:

Edit: Here's a link to ProBrewer if you haven't found it already.

Good luck!

I will be doing this as well in the next coming years. I am writing up my business plan now for a production brewery in Northern IL.

Awesome! I've been frequenting a local brewer (Inland Empire Brewing in Riverside) who just made the jump from homebrewers to pro brewers. They've taken much the same road as you it looks like.

Good luck!

Good luck!

I will be doing this as well in the next coming years. I am writing up my business plan now for a production brewery in Northern IL.

Drop me a note if you want to trade ideas back and forth. I have some amazing and really detailed worksheets that you can use to project growth, returns, break even points, as well as some well thought out business plan templates.

Best of luck to you too, as well! We need more local beer everywhere!

Congrats and Good Luck.

But does this mean I should grab up your recipes before you copyright them? :D

Funny thing is that there is a few recipes that I havent posted anywhere, because I am copyrighting them. Very unique takes on some awesome beer, think in the same arena as Anchor Brewing and their Steam Beer (TM)(C). I hate to even start things with this mentality, but there is something to say about having exclusive rights to something.

Once all the paperwork is done for the copyright, I fully believe in sharing recipes and methods. We can all make great beer, but I just think that I have a few interesting twists on the same old thing that just might make this a venture to pursue!

Cheers All!

Good luck! Sounds like you are doing the right things. And I have to give a prost to a fellow cuber that is going pro. Don't for get the going pro group here, are you posting there?

I honestly dont feel that I am worthy of that group yet. I dont have equipment yet, I dont have a place yet, I have even begun to start the paperwork. 3 months and I'll feel up to par.

But I am actually quite happy with how my negotiations for the brewing equipment is going. Its always more than you expected, but its not a killer yet!

Cheers

Funny thing is that there is a few recipes that I havent posted anywhere, because I am copyrighting them. Very unique takes on some awesome beer, think in the same arena as Anchor Brewing and their Steam Beer (TM)(C). I hate to even start things with this mentality, but there is something to say about having exclusive rights to something.

Once all the paperwork is done for the copyright, I fully believe in sharing recipes and methods. We can all make great beer, but I just think that I have a few interesting twists on the same old thing that just might make this a venture to pursue!

Cheers All!

I know some breweries try to keep the recipes secret. I didn't know you could actually copyright a recipe.

Good Luck Shizmo! Its always great to hear about people taking risks and making their dreams a reality. I respect that a lot.

About what the others have said about bottling, I agree that the best way to market and brand yourself is through bottles. With a keg, all you have is a tap handle. With bottles (or cans) exposure to the market is increased ten fold.

I would recommend talking to some local brewers who do bottle and work out a deal to contract their bottling/canning lines out. I have a friend who went pro in the last few years. He does all of his kegging and experimental beers at his on-site brewery. But he contracted his main brew out to a large brewery. He basically gives them the recipe and they brew it and can it for him. Saves him the time and money of having to buy the equipment. he was a bit leary at first to let someone else brew his beer, but it has turned out fantastic.

Just a thought....dont let the cost of a bottling line distract you from getting your brews on the shelfs of local liquor stores or in the hands of distributors.

Best of luck

I know some breweries try to keep the recipes secret. I didn't know you could actually copyright a recipe.

Congrats! hope it works out well for you.

Also, it would be pretty hard to copyright a recipe. I work as an adheisve chemist and although we have many many formulations which are secret, nothing is copyrighted and very few things can even be patented. It's all just trade secret stuff. I imagine brewing recipes would be similar.

Back