beer aging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celtic_dude

Reaction score
Will a beer still age when cold? I have an Irish red ale I brewed about 5-6 weeks ago in my keg. It is chilled down to about 45f but still does not taste quite right. Will it still condition at that temp??

Sure it will, just slower...you're basically lagering the brew. Any reason you can't pull it out of the fridge for a week to condition at 60 - 70 degrees?

I don't see why not. I routinely warm my beers before drinking, as I tend to like them a slight bit cooler than room temp. You don't want to let it get hot or anything, but I don't foresee a problem if you warm it up to 60ish degrees for a couple of weeks to condition. Of course, I'm a noob, so don't take my advice as gold. I'd be interested to see what other more experienced brewers have to say on this.

Lagering is a common process for making beer in Europe, make the beer and then cellar at 2*c (close to freezing) for months, i guess they warm it up to drink but not to room temp, as far as i am aware only pommies drink warm beer.... ;)

I've pulled bottles back out of the fridge for a couple of weeks hoping for a bit more carbonation, I can't see why it would cause a problem. It would speed up the aging process, too.

Lagering is a common process for making beer in Europe, make the beer and then cellar at 2*c (close to freezing) for months, i guess they warm it up to drink but not to room temp, as far as i am aware only pommies drink warm beer.... ;)

Haha, well, I'm no pommie, but I did learn to appreciate good beer while in the UK (mainly Scotland, but hey, it's close enough).

Back