To carb a cyser or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liquisky

Reaction score
I've got 5 gal of cyser that I've been aging for the past 6 months. This is my first time bottling a long aged (for me anyway) brew and I've a question or two.

Do you guys generally like carbed cyser or still? I know most like still mead and so do I, but I really like carbed cider, so I'm torn.

I know can split it and I may do that, probably just bottle a 6 pack and cab the rest naturally.

Which begs the question, my SG was 0.998 when I racked to secondary 6 months ago. Is there enough yeast left to carb anyway? Shold I repitch, what's the best procedure for this?

thanks in advance for any advice, I'd hate to screw this up.
You guys rock :rockin:

LS

To my taste a good cyser (1.100+) is much closer to a mead than a cider, I'd go still. If you started with a lower gravity then sparkling might make for a refreshing beverage.

Or you can do like I did with my Cran-Cyser an carbonate half and bottle half still. That gives you the chance to try it and decide how you like it.

Craig

This was a kit Cyser 5 gal, 3 gal apple juice, 6# honey, OG 1.070. I started it before I found this site. I think I'll split it, half still and half sparkling.

Any need to repitch yeast after 6 months?

Ok i give up I have to ask what doe "#" stand for next to honey amounts? is this pounds? liters?

Yes it is pounds, I mixed honey with water to make the 5 galons.

Quick question,

Should I add more yeast to carb since this has been sitting for 6 months in secondary?

thanks

Back