Am I asking for trouble?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spacebarcowboy

Reaction score
Hey there everyone,

I am a new homebrewer (this is my 4th batch). This weekend I bottled my first batch of cider, using a mix of 12 recycled Champagne bottles (of various kinds), and the rest in beer bottles. For the Champagne bottles, I used plastic stoppers, which I had to hammer in, and cages. I had never used cages before, and I did my best to put them on, but they are not super secure. There is definitely room for the cork to move, although probably not very far.

I was trying to read up on bottling with champagne bottles and now I am even more worried, cause I also think I went pretty high on the priming sugar:

The batch was about 5.5 Gallons. I had left the carboy outside overnight, so it was pretty cold, probably between 40-50 degrees. I added 6.5 oz of Corn Sugar. Looking at some calculator sites online, that looks like its gonna put me at about 3.5 Volumes of CO2. That seems quite high.

My big question here it, how worried should I be? What should I do?

Thanks for any help!

You're good to go.
Champagne and Beer bottles are good to go.
Cages are a booger to work with, but you'll likely be ok.
the sugar is a bit high...but should be ok.

Welcome....now RDWHAHB!
(google it)

RDWHAHB is such good advice. I am not usually much of a worrier, but still that is time and again good advice when it comes to homebrew! Thanks a lot for the reassurance. I am still gonna store them up in the shower in the 2nd bathroom, and I may still keep my fingers crossed! :)

Back