Mylar (heat sealable) bags for long term storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My vacuum packer, a Black and Decker FreshGuard, doesn't seal mylar bags but works fine on the clear plastic bags. Just FYI.

I have been poking around the food storage websites and mylar, when bought in bulk as mentioned above is a great deal. The major drawback is that mylar bags cannot be evacuated with a standard vacuum sealer. However, I stumbled across these videos:

Has anyone tried this before, and was it successful?
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I don't understand why the mylar is so preferable that someone would go to those lengths to get it to work with a foodsaver.

For hops storage I make my own bags out of the foodsaver rolls. I don't buy actual foodsaver rolls, though. I just bought a similar product online in bulk for cheap.

I think the mylar is preferable because of light/UV protection. But if you keep yer hops in a freezer all the time it should not matter.

I just pulled out last years harvest to dry hop a beer and noticed that the hops had lost their bright green color compared to this years harvest, which I just loaded in the freezer in food saver bags. Last years hops were stored in food saver vacuum bags as well and in a freezer which is opened on a daily basis. Seems negligible, but the bags are similar in price when you shop around so it is not a big deal to switch over to mylar... so long as it works.

I guess I don't understand why the mylar is so preferable that someone would go to those lengths to get it to work with a foodsaver.

For hops storage I make my own bags out of the foodsaver rolls. I don't buy actual foodsaver rolls, though. I just bought a similar product online in bulk for cheap.

I think the mylar is preferable because of light/UV protection. But if you keep yer hops in a freezer all the time it should not matter.

I think mylar in preferable because the foodsaver brand bags are freaking expensive. Heck, even the wallmart "Great Value" bags are expensive by comparison to mylar bags bought in bulk.

edit: weirdboy, I just read the last part of your comment, where are you getting the similar product online in bulk for cheap.

Please divulge your source! :mug:

I've been trying to find my source. Before I just sorta searched on google and followed a few links, etc. and ended up on this site selling them cheap in bulk quantities.

But now I can't find it.

Ebay has some good prices on mylar bags as well. I just picked up these to try em out... seems better than committing to 100 bags.

Latest posts

Back