Question on Honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budbo

Beer is good
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What is the difference between the types of Honey?

I have a co-worker who is a beekeeper by hobby and can get honey from him dirt cheap straight out of the hive will that work? or is the brewing Honey special?

The big difference in the honeys, as in color and flavor is in the source of the nectar. Here is a link that may help out Honeys

The honey your friend can get would definatey work.

H*** yes! I paid $10 for 2# recently- can't wait for the farmers' markets to open for the year. They have better deals

Hey, budbo, does he sell to anyone? I'm in Lincoln and I'm thinking about doing a mead sometime.
yes he does, It is his hobby (he has like 8 hives) he sells the honey to finance the hobby and make a few extra $.. He sells at street fairs mostly.. the larger batches he will do for friends.. let me know what you need. It is good Honey, my wife even buys everyday use honey from him since it is fresh with nothing added. He drains the Combs into a large Bucket then fills smaller ones.. it is as natural and fresh as it gets.

How long does mead take to age? I made some once but I dont think I let it age enough as it was always pretty raw. Was 6-7 months.

6-7 months is actually still young for mead. I have read posts were people let it age for a year plus before tasting and cried while drinking the last bottle. Talk about will power and faith. Basically treat it like wine since that is what it is older is better.

As far as types of honey the more raw the better. The stuff in the grocery stores is good but if you can get raw unfiltered unheated honey get it.

:ban:

Don't Just Drink It, Homebrew It.

I wonder how much flavor actually comes out from those flavored honeys. If I use my imagination I can taste (actually smell) orange in "orange blossom". I noticed B3 has a watermelon blossom honey as well. I think that would be kickass in a mead if you used watermelon juice as the base instead of water. I'd bet you could get almost a gollon of water out of a watermelon if you tried. Hmmmm......5 watermelons and a few pounds of watermelon blossom honey? that sounds <cartman voice> KICKASS!!!!

That said, We need more info on honey. I'm gonna start researching and going through the links provided here....

Back