Did I botch-up my first batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EBSDallas

Reaction score
My first batch (Cooper's Australian Lager) has been in the secondary for about a week. I'm concerned about two things.

1. I boiled my wort on an electric stove and had a real hard time getting it to a rolling boild. The only way I could get there was to use a lid for the last ten minutes. Next time I'll use a burner and a propane tank.

2. After pitching, I aerated the wort by rocking the primary tank for two minutes. Is that enough time, or should it hae been longer?

Let me know.

Thanks.

EBS

Sounds like you should be ok. Are you getting good airlock activity? Did you cool the wort before aerating? What type of yeast were you using? I use dry, and I pick my fermenter up and shake it like a drink shaker for about 10-15 seconds, and haven't had an issue. 10 minutes should be fine.
:mug:

EBSDallas said:
I aerated the wort by rocking the primary tank for two minutes.

EBS

did you rock it like a baby? next time try shaking it violently...thats what i do, i kind of freak out when i do it, but it works...dont worry too much about the boil, ive brewed a few batches on a bbq grill, a regular propane bbq grill, and not even a good one, i barely got a boil going but the beer was fine. (i tend to overhop so im assuming this helps with a not so raging boil...

everything should be just fine and dandy really...:ban:

It is most likely that all is well. After a week in the secondary you should have little to no air lock activity. You could bottle this weekend and crack open a test taste around next Wednesday or Thursday. I bet you will be pleased.

Truble said:
Sounds like you should be ok. Are you getting good airlock activity? Did you cool the wort before aerating? What type of yeast were you using? I use dry, and I pick my fermenter up and shake it like a drink shaker for about 10-15 seconds, and haven't had an issue. 10 minutes should be fine.

Truble & Ivan:

I had real good air lock activity, 1 burp/second or better for the first couple of days. It's down to about 3 burps/second now.

I used the package of dry yeast Cooper's supplied with the kit, rehydrated in 90 degree water, pitched into +/- 75 degree wort.

I rocked the carboy as hard as I could for two straight minutes, installed the airlock and sealed with vodka.

Thanks.

EBS

Truble said:
I pick my fermenter up and shake it like a drink shaker for about 10-15 seconds.

Aye, you must be a strong lad, Truble. We Boston boys are strong, I'll agree, but I'll be damned if I'll try to lift a 50 pound carboy over my head and shake it for 15 seconds. :D
Jeff

:ban:
Peanut butter jelly & a baseball bat

Chest high, thumb over airlock hole ( I use a bucket), and ther you go...a full primary should only weigh about 35# or so....I used to throw hammer and 35lb weight in college, so a full primary is not that much of a challenge....

EBS- Sounds like you are cruising-RDWHA(h)B

(relax don't worry have a brew....later, the H stands for Home when you are drinking your product)

EBSDallas said:
1. I boiled my wort on an electric stove and had a real hard time getting it to a rolling boild. The only way I could get there was to use a lid for the last ten minutes. Next time I'll use a burner and a propane tank.

I always wonder about this boiling thing when using a can of extract. The instruction don't say to boil the can, they just mention if you want you can heat the can in boil water to loosen up the contents of the can. Yes you should added boiled water but only up to about 4.5 litres, then fill to 23 etc. etc. etc.

I think some people are getting confused between all grain brewing and just straight from a can brewing.

Just my thoughts!!

IGOR

Truble said:
...a full primary should only weigh about 35# or so....

Ooops...my bad, I didn't realize you were doing 4 gallons in plastic. I guess I just assumed 6 gallons in glass. ;)

EBSDallas said:
I rocked the carboy as hard as I could for two straight minutes, installed the airlock and sealed with vodka

From my experience that should have aerated the wort sufficiently. A 1 qt. yeast starter is also a good idea.
Jeff

Back