BIAB Projects problems with boiling basket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRedFan

Reaction score
Just getting into BIAB and quickly realized i need a few additions to my kettle

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FTLY1K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Thatis the kettle that I Have. I used the boiling basket for my first batch and it made things easier.

I would like to add the following items

1) Sight Gauge
2) Port for releasing wort after cooling
3) Some sort of thermometer

My biggest issue is can people do anyone of these mods and still use the boiling basket?

Last edited by a moderator:
you can definitely fit a port and thermometer. you have a few inches between the basket and the bottom of the kettle. site glass may be possible but up to below the basket level and even then whatever you are using to hold the top of the sight glass would have to fit within a very narrow space between the basket and the kettle wall. i used this same kettle in my recent setup with a RTD (thermometer for PID) and port for valve which you can see with pictures here:

http://www.hommelhomebrew.com/?p=57

be careful when making the holes in the kettle. it is not the thickest metal and is fairly easily dented. i used greenlee punch which worked well but when i tried to step drill it the results weren't pretty.

Or work arounds such as:

1. Etched volume markings on inside of kettle (I have the same kettle and have done the etching).
2. EZ siphon.
3. Range thermometer plugged into your iPhone (don't know how I lived without it).

That is a great all around kettle for BIAB. The space below the basket really helps when you need to add heat to maintain temp. Also works great for straining if you get 3 large stainless "S" hooks to thread through the basket holes and over the top of the kettle.

Just getting into BIAB and quickly realized i need a few additions to my kettle

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FTLY1K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Thatis the kettle that I Have. I used the boiling basket for my first batch and it made things easier.

I would like to add the following items

1) Sight Gauge
2) Port for releasing wort after cooling
3) Some sort of thermometer

My biggest issue is can people do anyone of these mods and still use the boiling basket?

I'd skip the basket and the dial thermometer. I found my dial thermometer was not accurate enough. Save your cash and get a Thermapen. A much better tool IMHO.

I have an 11 gallon kettle too. Basket is not needed unless you were planning on incorporating an electrical element. The basket could be used to keep the bag off the element. Edit: I reread and see you like the basket you use. Disregard.

My pot's modifications can be seen here. I have upgraded to a SS cooling rack since making the thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Off-topic, I realize, but Jiminy Christmas did the price of that kettle go up fast! I purchased that same kettle from Amazon in May and it was $34 cheaper! :eek:

I have the same kettle. The sight gauge will be somewhat worthless because the basket displaces a lot of water. The thermometer will be a pain to work around. A ball valve would be nice, though. I drilled a hole in the lid for my long probe digital thermometer.

After a couple of brews, I ditched the basket and started using a Wilser bag made for this specific kettle (it's a popular one; he knew just how to make it). The bag fits perfectly, cinches to the rim, and clings to the sides. So there is no water all around the bag to create uneven mash temps.

To get the wort out, I chill and then let it sit for a while to settle the trub. Then I use an auto-siphon into the fermenter.

I have the same basket / kettle and don't bother with any other gear. I do use reflectix to hold the mash temp. The beauty of BIAB is KISS.

Back