Pelletier Fermentation Chambers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pirate Ale

Reaction score
Does anyone have the parts list or details on making a fermentation chamber using pelletier coolers? I want to upgrade my "son of Fermentation" chamber, but have no idea where to get the pelletiers and if they are even worth the expense.

HELP ....Plans, Parts lists, input on effeciency...all is welcome.

I personally would not consider using peltiers as a fermentation cooling device. Number one, they are terribly inefficient. Number two, their mean time between failure is terrible when compared to more traditional cooling methods. I've experienced this personally. During the years I was a field engineer for Olympus' Diagnostic Systems Group, I worked with clinical chemistry analyzers that utilized ethylene glycol to air heat exchangers with peltier elements, and the peltiers were famous for failing. Overall, they are not worth the expense.

The key I have found is to use low wattage peltiers. The higher wattage ones produce too much heat and its almost impossible to dissipate the heat so the heat goes on over to the cold side. You want to use a few lower wattage peltiers, depending on your volume you are trying to cool.

For an example of a commercial cabinet cooled by peltiers look up the sudsbuddy.

The key to TEC's is to quickly and consistently remove the heat from the hot side, theoretically if you remove all the heat from the hotside you will always achieve the max delta T (change in temp). So a big heatsink, fans with alot of airflow, a few lower wattage (~70watts) peltiers as apposed to one large (350watt) peltier.

Back