Must see places in Baton Rouge and New Orleans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jberg440

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm heading down into your neck of the woods next week to visit a buddy. Any places you can think of a guy should go? Im looking for good cheap dirty ass cajun food, as well as any brewpubs or all around fun non tourist spots. Thanks in advance!!

Justin

If you go to one place in baton rouge it absolutely must be the chimes. It's on highland road and chimes street right outside LSU's northgate.

Abita springs on I-12 north of new Orleans has abita brewing company. Excellent brewpub, then the brewery is just down the street. Free unlimited beers for 2 hours at the brewery and a tour.

usfmikeb said:
Agree on Chimes, I practically lived there when I was in grad school.

Anyone worth their salt at LSU has drank around the world ;)

awesome!! thanks guys!!! I'll defiantly be hitting up The Chimes, and Albita, I also plan on going to Tin Roof Brewing in BR. Any more suggestions are encouraged!

If you go to New Orleans you must stop in at Cooter Browns first great food and secondly an amazing beer selection both on tap and i'm bottles

No problem plus also if you in new Orleans hit up the avenue pub great craft beer selection as well and the good part is that cooter and avenue are only like ten mins from each other

No problem plus also if you in new Orleans hit up the avenue pub great craft beer selection as well and the good part is that cooter and avenue are only like ten mins from each other

Seconded Avenue Pub... funky little joint but the beer selection was impressive.

In New Orleans, besides Cooter Brown's, there's Avenue Pub on St. Charles ave (you can take a street car and not worry about driving) and then there is Bulldogs. Actually, there are 2 locations of Bulldogs but the one near the cemeteries in Mid City has a nice patio that you can enjoy at night. Weather is great this time of year.

If you go to one place in baton rouge it absolutely must be the chimes. It's on highland road and chimes street right outside LSU's northgate.

Abita springs on I-12 north of new Orleans has abita brewing company. Excellent brewpub, then the brewery is just down the street. Free unlimited beers for 2 hours at the brewery and a tour.

FWIW, the Abita tour is 1 hour, not 2. So pace yourself accordingly :cross:

Also, there is a Chimes located in Covington, which is about 5-10 minutes away from the Abita brewery. Not sure how it stacks up to the Baton Rouge one, but it's got a decent selection. Also, the Barley Oak in Mandeville has some good brews.

Back