New Orleans Breweries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLTalpos

Reaction score
I'll be headed to the Big Easy for New Year's and I am not familiar with any craft breweries in that area. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Basically, you'll be swimming in Abita everywhere you go. I'm a fan, but not everyone is. NOLA Brewing is the only other one that I'm aware of. They started up a few years ago.

On Decatur, there is a Crescent City Brewpub (I believe that's the name). Decent brews.

Please keep in mind that New Orleans focuses on quantity rather than quality with beers. The food, however, is amazing.

Abita is everywhere! I'm not big on it as well but ladies love it. Check out Coop's Place on Decatur Street. I like the dive and food is pretty nice! Rabbit Jambalaya!

I haven't been to Crescent City in about twenty years, but I remember them being average. There is a Gordon Biersch if you are into that and NOLA beers are becoming available in more places. They have a decent IPA and Blonde that I have tried. Not sure about the rest of their brews. Abita is everywhere and don't forget to swill a "Big Ass Beer" on Bourban St...;)

Abita is everywhere! I'm not big on it as well but ladies love it. Check out Coop's Place on Decatur Street. I like the dive and food is pretty nice! Rabbit Jambalaya!

Oh man. The rabbit jambalaya at Coops is one of the reasons I go down so frequently. Go down to NOLA, that is...

I used to live in NOLA. I don't recall many breweries other then Abita. Thats on the north side of the lake anyways. I did love Abita though. There are tons of bars in the big easy, but mostly drinks that involve rum. Check out Abita.

Abita is everywhere and don't forget to swill a "Big Ass Beer" on Bourban St...;)

You can even get a Big Ass Beer of abita!

But yeah, as other have mentioned, Abita is big, although the brewery isn't actually in new orleans, its in abita springe, which is on the other side of lake ponchartrain from new orleans. I like a lot of what they do, particularly turbodog, and even better, their 25th anniversary vanilla double dog.

discnjh said:
According to their android beer locator app, its available in connecticut...which is, i assume, what you're curious about.

Awesome thanks! I'll have my distributor be on the lookout. Is it like an imperial turbodog? If so, I'm already drooling.

I'll second the Avenue Pub trip for anyone who ventures this way in the future.

As for local brews, NOLA Brewing is the only brewery actually in New Orleans. They make quality beer and they're great people.

Abita is decent stuff, I usually like their Select beers more than the year-rounds.

From Baton Rouge, we have Tin Roof and their 2 brews are tastey.

In Bayou Teche, we have Bayou Teche (LA 31) and I'm iffy on their stuff, but they're great people too.

There are a few more in the area getting started, with one (40 Arpent in Chalmette) getting ramped up for March of 2012. (Their signature brew will be a Red Bean Ale made with red beans. I'm pretty excited about this one.)

I really like Bayou Teche LA31 and yes they are great people. I do however have a problem with the poor quality control on the bottling at Lazy Magnolia though. They must not clean their bottles well after they fill and cap them because they always taste like iron for the first few drinks. I have made it a practice to always wipe the rim of the bottle off with a wet napkin to avoid it.

I picked up a bottle of Abita Vanilla Doubledog. Can't wait to crack into it.

Heads up on the 25th Doubledog... Drink it at cellar temps! you'll be a lot happier if you do! Drinking it cold results in a thin tasteless beer that'll disappoint you, but once the beer reaches around 55F the Vanilla comes forward and the malty-ness of the beer really give a good mouth feel and smoothness.

Ave. Pub is the place to go for beer to sit and drink in New Orleans. As for best selection to pick up bottles go to Steins Deli on Magazine! Cantillon.... that's all that needs to be said! LOL

Back