which false bottom, pico or sabco

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlwahler

Reaction score
i am tryig to decide between getting a sabco false bottom or this one http://www.homebrewing.org/Stainless-Steel-PICO-style-keg-kettle-false-bottom_p_1010.html , i like the idea of no dip tube with the pico, but heard its complicated to figure out dead space below it, also did anyone use the sabco universal dip tube, i heard it does not work with a weldless bulkhead fitting, its doesnt line up withe while from sabco in there false bottom

Technically you still need a dip tube with the Pico, and you would have to figure out a way for it to be low enough and fit between the stand. I really thought about going with this one, but I already had my holes drilled in my Mash Tun, and I wasn't sure if they would be low enough to ensure the dip tube would sit all the way below the false bottom.

That combined with possible problems from the extra dead space caused me to go with a JayBird 15" false bottom. I got my SS dip tube and ball valve from BargainFittings, and the FB from JayBird, which was cheaper than getting all 3 from JayBird.

To calculate your deadspace, just put some water in there and then let it drain. Once it stop pour the remaining water into a measuring cup.

If you cut the bottom of the keg instead of the top you can use the hole as a drain instead of using a diptube. This doesn't work so well with burners.

Those aren't the only 2 false bottoms out there either.

I was in this same debate about a month ago. My problem with the pico was the HUGE dead space (I think about 3g). THe dead space isn't as huge of a deal if you are doing huge batches, recirculating, and/or you are fly sparging. But i'm not doing any of those.

So with that said, i went with the sabco and its amazing. There is no doubt its super expensive, but honestly it works perfect. You just have to account for the 1.25g of dead space and subtract it from your sparge water.

Back