I'm looking for a saison recipe that will resemble this rock bottom saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wadeo

Reaction score
I had this saison last month at rock bottom in Pittsburgh pa and would like to brew one like it. The funny thing with this style is not many that taste alike. This one was cloudy lightly carbonated with a citrus funk to it I found it to be super tasty. Does any one have recipe that would resemble this one.

ForumRunner_20110518_125006.jpg

I forgot to add that an all grain recipe would be best... thanks

Are recipes different from Rock Bottom to Rock Bottom? I ask because a very good friend of mine won a competition to have his Saison brewed at Rock Bottom, but it was a limited run in Milwaukee....so probably not?

The recipe does not have to this exact one just something that has similar characteristics.

I would and have done something along these lines before

10lbs Belgian Pilsner
2 lbs Flaked Wheat
1lb table sugar

Mash at 149

2oz Goldings @ 60
2oz Saaz @ 5 & KO

or Americanize it

1.5oz Amarillo @ 60
2 oz Cascade @ 5 & KO (or maybe Sorachi Ace if you want it more lemony)

3711 yeast fermented in mid 70's

Maybe shave some grapefruit or orange peel in the last few minutes of the boil

Hope this helps

I had this saison last month at rock bottom in Pittsburgh pa and would like to brew one like it. The funny thing with this style is not many that taste alike. This one was cloudy lightly carbonated with a citrus funk to it I found it to be super tasty. Does any one have recipe that would resemble this one.

That sounds like Sorachi with the citrus funk. I would personally up the grain bill (12 lbs) and cut out the sugar but that is the way I do it. The rest of the recipe that dchmela listed is good to go. Grated orange peel is a really nice flavor addition.

Wow thanks guys your suggestions are most appreciated, I will take a look at the sorachi saison recipe and the other suggestions that you listed above.

Thanks again,
Wade

Back