Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7DE0BC3B-6ADC-45A6-8B59-5C0A79B272CB.jpeg
Smoked wings.

Chucks done, just salt. So good. Chopped it up for the week. Pulled it at 205. Never gone that far with chuck. Totally melted nice. I pre trimmed it. Yeah no rest, i had to pick a little taste.
Screenshot_2018-09-23-17-46-11.png
Screenshot_2018-09-23-17-45-13.png
Screenshot_2018-09-23-17-44-56.png

OMG!! Those pictures are insanely mouth watering.

Made beer can chicken for the first time tonight. Threw on lots of hickory chips. Does that qualify as smoking meat? LOL
The wife doesn't like strong spices, so I just rubbed on some lemon pepper and kosher salt. Lots of garlic in the beer can with homebrew. 1:30 min. later served up and fell off the bone. Smokey and garlicy chicken.
Best chicken I've ever had.
Hopefully you can throw me a bone here...."Beer can chicken" vs. much of the exotic smoked meat posted hear feels... well..... you know.....

Thanks, that chuck is super nice. It had nice marbling. Ran into the angus chuck, will have to try that next. The kids refer to it as steak. Never had beer can chicken. That sounds good. Smoked chicken is awesome, need to make more of it. Mix some cherry with that hickory for a pleasant change. Here is the shoulder. Pulled at 190. 11 hours at 275. Will chop it up tomorrow. Broke it into large pieces, put in bag, wrapped in foil and put in fridge, because its late.
20180923_215742.jpg
20180923_215750.jpg
20180923_215809.jpg

Did 16.5# of pulled pork overnight on Friday for a Saturday party, and everyone was very pleased.

Grilled a ribeye last night for my wife and I, and completely ruined it. What a way to waste $25 of beef. :mad:

I smoked a tri-tip for my wife’s birthday today.
IMG_4191.JPG

I tried something new with the rub this time... instead of sugar, I sub’ed a package of hot Cocoa mix! It turned out really good! I picked Swiss Miss because it has hardly any milk in it.

Last edited:
That tri-tip looks great! I was just thinking to myself I haven't done a tri-tip in a while. Maybe next weekend...

Beautiful. What is avocado oil like? Sounds awesome.

Luck day. When I smoked that last chuck, I found a whole other frozen chuck. The microwave finished it off easily and it just collapsed. View attachment 591071View attachment 591072
Avocado oil seems rather plain, while I haven't tasted it by the spoonful. I used it as oil base for smoking and for pan frying onions and garlic in Mexican foods.

Avocado oil is very plain tasting. It's advantage is a ridiculously high smoke point (>500F).

I can personally confirm though it goes south relatively quickly and when it does, it's not pleasant to cook with.

I'd recommend trying it though to see what you think.

Thanks. I like and have used safflower oil. I was at bennihana and asked them what they used and it was safflower. Have also used sesame oil. Thats about it.

I'm doing ribs and grain this weekend. Need to pull the back skin of the baby backs and soak my grain in distilled water before I get lazy from you know what.

So... BBQ ribs and Smoked Brown Malt.

They were 95% done this is after 2 hours of smoke 186F and 4 hours at 275 with 15 minute interval apple spray. I'm keeping these dry and wrapping them in foil to do .... a protein rest... LOL

They're too hot to eat. They seem brown enough that a higher temp to do the bbq glaze is unnecessary.

Edit: These are moist and fall off the bone tender.

20181006_185927.jpeg

Last edited:
Those look nice^^
They are awesome.

My super sharp chef's knife requires that I poke the blade point between the ribs. Then press down to do a half cut, at that point I can use the knife center to cut them in half.

If I didn't do that, they'd just flex and tear meat off the bone they're that tender.

I was eating by myself...I still did that for presentation purposes.

Batching it, wife's out of town with the kid.... So it's beer, football and a smoking meat weekend.

Makes me feel guilty since I'm kinda liking it...

...being alone. [emoji1]

Baby back ribs. Pulled membrane, trimmed a little and cut in half to fit. Rubbed with olive oil and did 2/1 sugar to salt for rub. 4 3/4 hours at 275. Hickory and apple. Basted when I pulled them with this bbq sauce. This sauce is good. These were super thick baby backs. I would look for that again, I think.
Screenshot_2018-10-07-18-32-23.png
20181007_174848.jpg
20181007_175431.jpg
20181007_174911.jpg
20181007_175148.jpg

Baby back ribs. Pulled membrane, trimmed a little and cut in half to fit. Rubbed with olive oil and did 2/1 sugar to salt for rub. 4 3/4 hours at 275. Hickory and apple. Basted when I pulled them with this bbq sauce. This sauce is good. These were super thick baby backs. I would look for that again, I think.View attachment 591855View attachment 591856View attachment 591857View attachment 591858View attachment 591859
Very nice!!!

They are extra meaty. I buy Tyson's. A half rack is more than enough for me with Cole Slaw and Potatoe Salad.

Didnt smoke anything, but that pork butt from a little ways back defrosted was so good. We ate it with and without sauce and couldn't decide which we liked more. They were both good for different reasons. The sugar, salt rub remains fantastic despite its simplicity. The hickory and apple is better than the oak and apple imo, but dang I miss cherry and hickory.

Was at the store a bit ago doing a little grocery shopping and they had baby backs for $1.99 a pound. Going to smoke some this weekend if time allows! I picked up an apple butter barbecue sauce from a local orchard I've been eager to use.

Didnt smoke anything, but that pork butt from a little ways back defrosted was so good. We ate it with and without sauce and couldn't decide which we liked more. They were both good for different reasons. The sugar, salt rub remains fantastic despite its simplicity. The hickory and apple is better than the oak and apple imo, but dang I miss cherry and hickory.

Yeah, any time I'm doing pork I load up the smoker and vacuum seal it. I've actually gotten to the point where if I run out of pork in the freezer, I'll buy 2x of the Costco double-pack pork butt, ~36# of meat, and do it all up in one big batch. I figure if I'm running the smoker, I might as well make the charcoal usage worth it. And pulled pork freezes so well that it's a no-brainer.

We'll often do pulled pork salads for dinner, my wife makes some pulled pork taquitos in the oven, we do pulled pork nachos... And it's always great in chili, gives chili that great smoky aroma.

Was at the store a bit ago doing a little grocery shopping and they had baby backs for $1.99 a pound. Going to smoke some this weekend if time allows! I picked up an apple butter barbecue sauce from a local orchard I've been eager to use.

That's a heck of a deal! Baby backs are often $5.99/lb here at the grocery stores... I usually get them at Costco around $3.29/lb or so. The Costco ones are great; super meaty.

But I've never seen them at $1.99. That's a smokin' deal [pun intended].

Yeah, any time I'm doing pork I load up the smoker and vacuum seal it. I've actually gotten to the point where if I run out of pork in the freezer, I'll buy 2x of the Costco double-pack pork butt, ~36# of meat, and do it all up in one big batch. I figure if I'm running the smoker, I might as well...

We'll often do pulled pork salads for dinner, my wife makes some pulled pork taquitos in the oven, we do pulled pork nachos... And it's always great in chili, gives chili that great smoky aroma.
[pun intended].

Good tips here. We arent costco members, but are sams. We should check this out. I like the ideas. I didnt grow up eating to much pork butt other than ho hum crockpot stuff. Nachos, chilli and taquitos sound great. Do you fry the taquitos?

Polishes look good.
I will be making deer sausage soon. But not smoked. It will be smoked as prepared I do prefer the option to uncooked to smoked/cooked sausage it gives you a few more options.

Back