just had to move my fermenter!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RippinLt

Reaction score
So my shed was getting too cold..into the mid 60's so I moved my fermenter into a dark spot under my bar. Its 70F in there. The fermentation SEEMS to have slowed to a point where I cannot see anything coming from the airway. I moved it as smooth as I could but Im sure it stirred up a little. Im hoping the change in temp didnt hurt anything, especially since fermentation has slowed so much. I read a few places that some people move their fermenter to a warmer area (74-75) once ferm. slows. Then they cold crash after a week or so. I plan on doing this. Anyway, I hope my brew is ok!

you basically have moved it to a warmer area, so i would just let it ride out there for a week or two, crash cool it and keg/bottle it.

Airlock is not a good indication of fermentation. That said, you probably shook all the CO2 bubbles off the side of the container when moving it and they'll have to build back up before it starts releasing again.

It's going to be fine. If the bulk of fermentation was done (krausen has dropped), moving it to the warmer temps was probably the way to go. If fermentation was just getting started, I would have left it in the cooler temps.

It's going to be fine. If the bulk of fermentation was done (krausen has dropped), moving it to the warmer temps was probably the way to go. If fermentation was just getting started, I would have left it in the cooler temps.

what will moving it to a warmer temp do? do i not need to keep mine at 65 now that most of my fermentation has taken place?

Moving the fermenter to a warmer location at the end of fermentation will help the yeast reach full attenuation. Doing so sooner can create esters and fusels, which are generally undesirable. I personally warm mine once the krausen has dropped.

I was just affraid that the temp dropped too fast and my yeast are in some sort of suspension.

I was just affraid that the temp dropped too fast and my yeast are in some sort of suspension.

If they are, they'll come out of it shortly. I'm not aware of many yeast strains that won't ferment in the 60s. My guess is that the yeast either slowed down a bit or you moving the fermenter knocked a lot of CO2 out of suspension in one swoop so the airlock just isn't as active now because there's less out-gassing going on. Trust your hydrometer and don't worry about it.

I use an Igloo 60qt Icecube as a swamp cooler at home. I put the BB in the cooler after brewing and pitched my starter (a mix of WLP029 and WLP051, dont ask, i drank alot that day) and in my infinite wisdom, tossed a few bottles of ice in with it when the ambient temp in my apartment was about 66. Fast forward to morning, the beer is coming out of the airlock and desperately needs a blow off which i put on. The kicker is that the beer is at 52ish degrees. So yeah, dont worry about the yeasties, i dont think they know how to sleep haha.

I would have left it in the mid 60s shed. No biggie either way, since most ferm. is done. I have a carboy full of blonde ale sitting on my front steps, which is insulated but not heated. Has ranged from 45-65*F active ferm was a week of steady 60* temps, then it kind of went up a tad, and now it is getting a little chilly, especially at night. I wont be moving it at all until bottling time.
I am expecting it to turn out very well... so I expect yours to as well (as long as all other brewing elements are in order!)

mid 60's should be perfect temp shouldn't it?

Thats what I thought (although i'm new here) with a good number of ale yeasts wanting to be in 65-68 isn't 63-65 room/air temp where you want to be since the fermenting temp will be 2-5 degrees higher? Isn't 70's too warm for ambient temp? (unless it is meant for that temp of course)

It wasnt really the 63 degrees i was worried about it was the drop down to 60 at night and then the rise to the low 70s in the morning to afternoon. Im content with under the bar. Its 70 degrees there 24/7. Im gonna cold crash in a week or so, then bottle. 3 weeks from then Ill come back and let you know lol

Back