old ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tired

Reaction score
I was cleaning out my basement the other day, and I found an ingredient kit that a friend gave me about four years ago. It has cracked grain (in a bag that does not look to be air tight), pellet hops (in an airtight bag), liquid extract (airtight), corn sugar (not airtight).

Do you think that the ingredients can still produce a decent batch after sitting around for so many years or do you think that I should just toss them?

Thanks.

The grain is bird food and the hops are probably shot. The extract and corn sugar should be fine.

Thanks for the quick reply? Oh, I forgot to ask about the packet of lager yeast. Do you think that might still be okay to use?

Thanks again...

IMO, the only thing worth keeping would be the corn sugar.

Does the extract can have an expiration date? If it doesn't then it may be OK. If it does then toss it. The can's not bulging or anything, right?

Liquids tend to get darker over time so you could always use it in a dark brew.

Thanks for the information. I was hoping to save a few dollars, but it looks like I will just go to the brew store and buy fresh ingredients.

The Extract will be darker, and will also have a stronger extract finish. I suggest IF you use it to up your hop bill pretty high. The yeast can be tested with a starter. The corn sugar should be fine. Throw the hops away.

Back