fermenting question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ok, so i made an apricot beer. I added purreed apricots to my primary fermentor, does the yeast act on the sugars from the purree (and the liquid the apricots were in) and convert it to alcohol?

yes they do. might of been better to add the fruit to the secondary. you get more flavor that way. but what you did is just fine. hope you added some pectic enzyme.

also, when i brewed it, i added water and puree to my fermenter before adding the wort, i underestimated the size of my fermentor, my wort, etc. so i had left over wort. Will this just result in a "lighter less malty beer" or too fruity of a beer?" I also took the extra wort, made a quick makeshift fermentor, added a little water and threw the wort in with some extra yeast. that'll prolly make a really malty beer right?

pectic enzyme reduces the cloudyness?

it does in brews using fruit. fruit has pectin in it and in a brew will cause haze. the pectic enzyme eats the pectin and prevents cloudiness.

next time add the fruit, then the wart, then the water.

the brew will probably be more fruity but only tasting will tell if its to fruity.

its hard to say if the "second" batch will be malty or not. don't confuse residual sweetness with maltyness. a beer with a FG of 1.012 and a beer with a FG of 1.005 can have the same malty flavor but obviously have different residual sweetens. residual sweetness adds body not malty flavor.

Back