Carbonation development in different sized bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gubby

Reaction score
I heard somewhere that the CO2 levels will be different for different sized bottles. I am doing a stardard bottling procedure (making a corn sugar primer, adding it to the beer, and then bottling) and I'm wondering if I will get the same CO2 development in my 12 oz, 16.9 oz, 22 oz, and 25.4 oz bottles. Any thoughts or experiences?

CO2 levels should be even across all bottles if you've properly mixed the priming sugar and beer. Now, I could see different bottles giving off different carbonation times, but not carbonation levels.

I don't know the science behind it though, so I'm sure someone will set me straight. I just don't think that the air/liquid ratio can really make that much of a difference.

more beer and thus more yeast and thus more priming sugar (if properly mixed) in a larger bottle so no worries, I wouldnt think the carb times would be much different either.

Back