Mega Stir Plate ... W/pic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudbuster

This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
When brewing lagers, one often finds it time consuming and tedious to build up a starter to 6-8 liters, especially since I usually use the wort from the brew to do so. The main wort in cooled and allowed to settle in the cooler while starter wort (~ 2 gal) is brought up to pitching consentration. I have found the computer fan stir plates to be inadequate for the task because of the time involved in only being able to use a 2 liter flask.

Now, I pitch the pack to 2 liters after brewing. The next morning, the remaing 6 liters of starter wort is added to the starter jar. The next morning, the entire starter is added back to the main wort after racking to a sanitzed fermenter. Both the main wort and the stir plate are kept in the cooler at 50f.

This thing cuts the time for building a huge starter in half.
Mega_Stir_Plate1.JPG

Its a monster!!

That thing is huge. I haven't done a lager yet, but I guess building up the starter would be annoying.

I like it!

Where did you get that stir plate?

What are you using for a stir bar?

If you built it yourself, what is spinning and what type of magnet is on it?

Thanks.

I built it myself. The motor was salveged from an old bathroom fan (shaded pole). The control is a standard fan control unit from Home Depot. The magnets are from K&J Magnetics 7/8" dia. x 1/2" thick. I think they were about $6.25 each. The stir bar is 2 1/2 in. octagonal plastic coated from Lab Depot Octagon (58947-136-EA), cost ~ 12.50.
The top is a marble tile so as to overhang the body. No mater what some may say, there is a possibility of a blow over if you are doing an ale. I learned the hard way after burning out the lil black box due to one.:)

I built it myself. The motor was salvged from an old bathroom fan (shaded pole). The control is a standard fan control unit from Home Depot. The magnets are from K&J Magnetics 7/8" dia. x 1/2" thick. I think they were about $6.25 each. The stir bar is 2 in. octagonal plastic coated from Lab Depot Octagon (58947-136-EA), cost ~ 12.50.
The top is a marble tile so as to overhang the body. No mater what some may say, there is a possibility of a blow over if you are doing an ale. I learned the hard way after burning out the lil black box due to one.:)

Great. Now, in the midst of building the greatest electric brew structure Man has ever seen, I feel the need to build the greatest stir plate Man has ever seen. Crap. I've built a couple but they are so ghetto to yours. Must quit job and brew full time.

This'll be great - next thing is someone is gonna use a 6.5 gallon carboy, a job box as the housing, and industrial strength motor for spinning the almost footlong magnet. Can't wait to see it!

-OCD

Great. Now, in the midst of building the greatest electric brew structure Man has ever seen, I feel the need to build the greatest stir plate Man has ever seen. Crap. I've built a couple but they are so ghetto to yours. Must quit job and brew full time.

I had a need, so I found a way to solve it that's all it's about.:p

Not really, my stir plate will sir a carboy.......

Yeah but it COULD be bigger. Seems size really does matter. Bigger, better, faster, stronger, shinier, more complex, more automated, more blingy.

Just sayin... seems to be a trend on HBT. Could be my imagination.

-OCD

Yeah but it COULD be bigger. Seems size really does matter. Bigger, better, faster, stronger, shinier, more complex, more automated, more blingy.

Just sayin... seems to be a trend on HBT. Could be my imagination.

-OCD

You may be on to something there, but when i brew ten gallons of Elephant Lager knockoff, i need 4 gal of starter at high krausen to kick it off. :)

Okay, parts list, and build write up.

PROST!:rockin:

Thanks for the prost. The materials are in post #6. I built it from mostly scrap from the shop from other jobs. After the magnets and stir bar came in, it seens like it took about 3 hrs to up and running. The tile came from a bathroom job, the rest is just scrap odds and ends. I found the epoxy will not stick to the plastic that the old fan was made of though, so i had to make a disk from 3/4 in plywood. :D

EDIT: The inside.

inside7.JPG

One must get control.. :) Thanks guys. It was cheap and quick, and best of all, the motor doesn't get very hot.
Brewer Steve, you may have found a new use for this thing....

Glad to see I'm not the only crazy person putting giant vessels filled with colored water on their stir plates :D

greenstir2.jpg

-Joe

When brewing lagers, one often finds it time consuming and tedious to build up a starter to 6-8 liters, especially since I usually use the wort from the brew to do so. The main wort in cooled and allowed to settle in the cooler while starter wort (~ 2 gal) is brought up to pitching consentration. I have found the computer fan stir plates to be inadequate for the task because of the time involved in only being able to use a 2 liter flask.

Now, I pitch the pack to 2 liters after brewing. The next morning, the remaing 6 liters of starter wort is added to the starter jar. The next morning, the entire starter is added back to the main wort after racking to a sanitzed fermenter. Both the main wort and the stir plate are kept in the cooler at 50f.

This thing cuts the time for building a huge starter in half.
Mega_Stir_Plate1.JPG

I'm thinking about building a larger stirrer for other reasons. Do you remember or know off hand what the wattage or amp draw of the fan motor is? 120 volts, no?

Latest posts

Back