Hop Varieties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meschaefer

Reaction score
I was listening to an old episode of the podcast Basic Brewing Radio, from May 2006 about hop varieties and they suggested an interesting experiment. They suggested taking a very bland beer, like Budweiser and uncapping a few bottles and placing different hops into each bottle and then recapping. You are basically dry hopping it. After a week or so, you can sample each one to get an idea of how the hops changed the beer and be able to compare the aroma and flavor of the different hops you choose against one another. This seems like a fairly simple way to try a number of different hops under somewhat controlled circumstances.

Has anybody tired this?

and if so..

What procedure did you use? i.e. what type of beer and hops did you choose, how much hops, aged for how long etc. etc.

Haven't tried it with hops, but the off-flavor seminar I attended used Coors Lite as the base for everything.

I would agree that Coors Lite is the most flavorless out of the big three. I may try this too in order to help advance my learning...

I have been thinking this out a little bit more and am thinking of "serving" it at a dinner party that I have scheduled a couple of weeks from now.

My plan is to obtain a variety of hops, and place a small amount (1 pellet? ... 2?) of each into a bottle of Coors Light and let it dry hop for a week. I may do 2 bottles of each type, so that I have enough for each person to try a few ounces of each type of hops. I will have some samples of hop pellets and hop cones for people to see, smell, rub between their fingers, etc. etc. and maybe some general hops information for people to look at.

I figure, I can try and get hops with different charterstics, spicy, nutty, citrus, floral, aroma etc. etc. in order to expeince a wide range of what is available.

Finally, after the hops "tasting" I can have a selcetion of IPA and other beers for people to try, to see hops in action.

Any suggestions on which hops to choose? Other Ideas..

What you think?

Matt

Back