Conditioning and signs of carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregBrews88

Reaction score
My first batch has been conditioning in bottles for a week now, should there be any visible signs of carbonation or should it still appear flat because it is sealed in the bottle?

There are no visible signs of carbonation that I've ever seen. At 1 week it's likely you have a fair amount of carbonation already. I usually try my first 12 oz bottle at 1 week, then another at 12 days or so. Carbonation seems to peak at 3 weeks but it's still good before that too.

Give it two more weeks. Patience is the one b!tch of homebrewing... that and clean-up.:cross: You won't see anything real obvious when they're carbonated. Maybe some yeast will start to settle on the bottom, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's carbed.

For many styles, you can check the clarity of the beer by holding the bottle up to a light. Usually you'll see the neck clear first, and then the rest as the yeast settle during the final carbonation/fermentation. If the first bottle you try isn't carbonated, rouse the yeast in each bottle and let them sit for another 5-7 days.

I've never had a batch bottle condition properly before 3 weeks. Even then it still might taste green, so give it another week or two at least.

Sometimes I can see the beer clear as the yeast slowly goes to the bottom. The beer is carbed before it clears. Most of mine carb in under a week.

Green is a vague term and most of what it refers to should be gone before bottling anyway. It's so vague it's like saying you don't know why it tastes that way and simply blaming the age of the beer. I'm looking at a guide to off flavors I just can't find green. Green apple maybe? (sour/acidic)

flavorwheel.gif

What the hell is the point of that color/odor wheel thing? I may just be dumb, but what the hell is the point of that?????

The Beer Flavor Wheel was developed in the 1970s by Morten Meilgaard. It was subsequently jointly adopted as the flavor analysis standard by the European Brewery Convention, the American Society of Brewing Chemists, and the Master Brewers Association of the Americas.
[ame]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ei=vBUSSvOCLaXosgPOjIjdDQ&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=beer+flavor+wheel&spell=1[/ame]

Sometimes I can see the beer clear as the yeast slowly goes to the bottom. The beer is carbed before it clears. Most of mine carb in under a week.

Green is a vague term and most of what it refers to should be gone before bottling anyway. It's so vague it's like saying you don't know why it tastes that way and simply blaming the age of the beer. I'm looking at a guide to off flavors I just can't find green. Green apple maybe? (sour/acidic)

You know, the owner's manual for my car doesn't say anything about your arm getting wet while you drive anywhere in the troubleshooting section. But experience has taught me to roll up my fukin window when it is raining!

To the OP, listen to the experience here and let your beer condition in the bottle for a minimum of three weeks before expecting great things. Will it have any carbonation at 1 week? Probably. Will it be at its peak? NO. Be patient and you will be rewarded with a better product.

The Beer Flavor Wheel was developed in the 1970s by Morten Meilgaard. It was subsequently jointly adopted as the flavor analysis standard by the European Brewery Convention, the American Society of Brewing Chemists, and the Master Brewers Association of the Americas.

I am also sure it was developed to assist in identifying flavors of properly fermented and conditioned beers. It was never meant to identify "green" beer nor partially fermented wort for that matter.

I am also sure it was developed to assist in identifying flavors of properly fermented and conditioned beers. It was never meant to identify "green" beer nor partially fermented wort for that matter.

Conroe doesn't believe in green beers and he drinks most of his beers young...and he's happy with it....he also adds more yeast often a bottling time to hasten the process, pr Krausens which hastens the process, but is something that most of us don't do......especially the new brewer....I've given up trying to convert him :D

But your are right Bull....that chart is all fine and dandy after a beer has carbed and conditioned and has fully developed If you've passed a widnow of a few weeks to make sure the beer has finished doing what it needs to do, and you STILL have off flavors, then that chart is very usefull....but NOT for a beer that has been tasted TOO SOON.

Green beer is just a catchall phrase for a beer that is too young, it may be any of those flavors you have on that excellant chart BUT if they dissapear after a few weeks in the bottle, then it was because the beer needed some conditioning time, ergo, young or "green."

Because "green beer" aften has an off flavor, like one of those on the chart.....

If after a couple of months one of those flavors is still there, and has not decreased, then one could and should look at what they did in the recipe that might have caused it. EG infection, too high a fermentation temp, under pitched yeast, maybe too much chlorine in your brewing system, yadda yaddda yadda....

The point is that most of us, especially inexperienced brewers taste beer WAAY to early....they often do everything waay too earlier, then start an "is my beer ruined" or "my beer tastes funny" or "my beer's not carbed."

We tell them to be patient (which I know you aren't :D) and 99% of the time they come back in a week, or two or three and say "you're right gang, the beer taste fine now...I guess I jumped the gun."

That's all....

I'm no expert but I've read you do not want your beer conditioning at hot temps..over say 80-85 degrees.

Also, make sure the beer has had a few days in the fridge to chill before you open it. This will help the clarity as well as the flavor.

Green is a vague term and most of what it refers to should be gone before bottling anyway. It's so vague it's like saying you don't know why it tastes that way and simply blaming the age of the beer.

Hi Conroe,

Perhaps we misunderstood each other. I know exactly why young beer tastes bad--it's young. Revvy and others have more fully described what I dismissed as "green beer." The definition was hit square by Revvy in particular: "...a beer that is too young...."

If I had to define the taste of green beer with terms from the chart you referenced, I've sensed the following: sweet, metallic, carbonation (low), fruity, acetaldehyde, grassy, cooked vegetables, and leathery. Most (if not all) of these "off flavors" have disappeared after the beer has aged a bit. We're not talking about years here folks, just a few weeks.

Your beer deserves the patience of an additional week or two. If I wanted to drink beer with the above qualities, I'd buy a sixpack of Corona light, bake them in the sun for a few hours and drink them warm and flat. As it sits, I'll make my own beer and advise others to do the same using the two best ingredients I know--sanitation and patience.

After a week of fermentation temps I have kept my fermenter at 70-80F (I don't pay that much attention to them after that.) I really do think at those higher temps the beer may age as much as twice as fast. It carbs much faster at those temps too (I regularly see complete carbonation in less than a week.) Yeast really like it.
Randy Mosher said:
"All the process of aging in beer are accelerated by heat."
I'm not sugesting cooking beer, just keeping it comfortable. I'm quite comfortable up to 85f and think beer is too. Long term storage is out of the question. Most beer is not meant to be aged anyway.

Michael Jackson said:
If you see a beer, do it a favor, and drink it. Beer was not meant to age

Originally Posted by Michael Jackson
If you see a beer, do it a favor, and drink it. Beer was not meant to age

Tell that to Charlie Papazian....

In the Dec 07 Zymurgy He reviewed bottles of homebrew going back to the first AHC competition that he had stored, and none of them went bad, some had not held up but most of them he felt were awesome...We're talking over 20 years worth of beers.

Or Beer Advocate.

How To Store Beer

Or the New York Times :D

Beer Lovers Make Room for Brews Worth a Wait

Or the Belgians....

The Art of Aging Gracefully
Vintage Beers at Belgium's Beer Cafes

Bottle conditioning--the practice of leaving live yeast in the beer when it is bottled--also makes beers good candidates for aging, since the yeast continues to develop the beers over time.

Aging and cellaring beer has grown very popular in the United States in perhaps the past ten years or so. Many good American beer bars now carry a few aged beers. The Map Room in Chicago, Brickskeller in Washington, D.C., Falling Rock Taphouse in Denver, Max's on Broadway in Baltimore and the Toronado in San Francisco usually have more than a handful, with about 50 or more at last count on the menu at the Brickskeller. There are a number of other places with good vintage selections.

Or Rogue, or Stone or any number of breweries who recommend cellaring their beers, and even release and have vertical tastings......

Once again we're talking new brewers and "my beer's not carbed, or taste like crap and I've only had it in the bottles for a week, or two, or three" in other words the majority of the threads on here on that topic. You know the ones I answer (about 5 or 6 a day)...It's the same facts each time....first batch opened under three weeks...

Now either every brewer f ups his first batch by following the directions...OR MORE LIKELY the issue in not a problem...but simple impatience...

and it usually is because about 60% of those threads end up with a followup a couple more weeks later saying everything is fine...the beer is carbed and tastes great....

And of all the rest...I've only seen ONE thread in the last year and a half I've been doing this, that the follow up was still un carbed, or nasty tasting (I cant recall)...I think it turned out to be bad seals on the grolsh type bottles he was using..

When I starting brewing about a year ago I bought a true-brew ingredient kit after reading the instructions I thought "wow this takes alot less time than I would have figured" (based off of having a couple friends who brewed and from what they told me)

the instructions said to leave in Primary and generally it will be ready to bottle in 1 week (they said something like 4 days after it stops bubbling - not one mention about doing a hydrometer test other than "if you want to")

So my beer was in the primary it bubbled for 2 days and I started to count down the days till I could bottle. The instructions then said "let it age for 2 weeks in a dark spot like a closet and then you can move to fridge to age more or drink. Luckily when I mentioned to someone "yeah I brewed this weekend and then I'm going to bottle this week" I was given the "oh no you got to let it sit" explanation of bottle bombs and quality and all that - I did and I was happy....4 weeks after I expected to taste the beer, but I was happy none the less.

whats the point in the story?

two fold - we've all been there...we've all had our first batch - everyone's got to start somewhere so go easy on those that are scared...its a journey into the unknown for them and its kind of exciting.

The other reason is this when you buy an ingredient kit like the true brew kits...there is no real emphasis on the longer you let it sit the better it will get.

Some beers I will drink 2 weeks after brew day (force carbed and if it was a quick fermentation) but I also know before that first sip, it may taste funny, or it may taste great and that in another 2 months this beer may taste the same or it may taste even better.

we've all had to start some where and they all will learn eventually they just need to learn so lets not get upset that they are impatient or that they ask a million questions or that they make outrageous claims...just take your own advice "be patient" only be patient with the newbs.

relax its beer...drink up and enjoy

Ravvy I think if we could talk over a few homebrews we probably could come to agreement. I think we agree on more than you think. I have a different process and it works for me. I can go form grain to glass in about a month and so do many of the pros producing the same kinds of beer.

Ravvy I think if we could talk over a few homebrews we probably could come to agreement. I think we agree on more than you think. I have a different process and it works for me. I can go form grain to glass in about a month and so do many of the pros producing the same kinds of beer.

Actually I agree....I've learned quite a lot of interesting stuff from you, over the last few months...The more I've read by you, the more I have come to respect you. :mug:

I've even mentioned in other threads about your process

I've been meaning to pm you and suggest you actually put together a detailed tutorial about some of the things you do...especially the adding yeast, and krausening, things like that....(with pics)

My issue only is that the new brewers (and the lurkers) who read these discussions don't understand that you are using specific and different methods then they (and myself) are using.

Most of the brewers on here (who don't keg) use the "wait til fermentation is complete, then add x amount of sugar added (in some way) at bottling time" method....and with that method, it is very very difficult to get an average gravity( let's say 1.060 and above) beer carbed and conditioned in under three weeks if the temp is below 70 degrees. Like I've said all winter, I couldn't get a beer to carb in 5 weeks to save my life in my loft.....

It's quite different from some of the things that you do, which are a bit more specific and advanced than these first time batches where they jump the gun and start a thread like this.....

And I honestly think that needs to be clarified.....because a lot of people will look at what you write and say "gee how come my beer isn't ready in a month, something must be wrong with it."

Not realizing that in order to get your beer ready in a month, you did very specific things that they didn't do with their batch.

These new brewers are brewing a kit (usually with badly written instructions) or a recipe, and then in their impatience cracking them open early, and panicking.....

So I just think that it confuses them a bit.....not that there's anythign wrong with your methods...it's just that the new brewers are not using the same methods as you are.

Back to the OP, generally speaking kit manufacturers, especially kit an kilo manufacturers, are concerned with selling more and more kits NOT with the brewer making the best beer possible. They know that if they say in the instructions to wait, they may loose some people to hobbies that have more instant gratification.

They also know that the time that a homebrewer will remain buying kits is relatively short...they know that after a few kits, the brewer will either give up, start brewing extract batches from recipes in books and places like this, formulate their own recipes, or go all grain...so they want to sell as many kits as possible to the new brewer before he moves on to bigger and better things.

So they know that even their beer will taste better if you leave it longer...but they know that in the time you wait you will be reading and learning and be less likely to buy another kit...They can sell three or four kits to you if you follow their directions in the same time frame that listening to us and waiting a month and bottle conditioning for another 3-4 weeks.

Anyway the biggest take home message, that I preach :D (here anyway) over and over and over is simple;

The point to remember is that if it is under three weeks and your beer isn't carbed or tastes funny to you, there is nothing wrong with the beer, just the brewer :D...And leaving it alone for a week or more, will more than likely be the cure....under carbed or funky tasting beer in the first 3-8 weeks or so, especially if it is high grav, or your ambient temps are below 60, is perfectly normal, and nothing to worry about.

(Conroe, I hope someday we get together over a few pints of our works!!!!) :tank:

I am going to clarify my position as well, even though Revvy may have already said it in a 'round about way.
I am not saying that you don't know green beer nor that your process doesn't work for you. My whole stance that I may not have stated clearly in my replies above is this: Even though you have developed a process that works for YOU, I personally don't think it is proper to recommend to the newer/less experienced brewers. It is too likely that they won't be getting the results that you have seen and may become discouraged because it doesn't taste as good as they were expecting.
See what I mean? Recommending your technique and short conditioning time would be like recommending Kai's or Mensmaschine's (sp) water chemistry adjustment techniques. It has nothing to do with whether it works or not, but is the process understandable for people just learning.
DAMN! These tangents are making me dizzy.
Let's just hug and sing a chorus of "Kumbaya". ;)

Hehehehe...

It's funny, I just went to the can at work and took the latest copy of Byo with me, and the featured Techniques section is on brewing high gravity beers, they define a high gravity beer as being greater than 1.061....

In all the batches I have brewed, I can count on half a hand the number of beers that were UNDER 1.060....I think my average is 1.070....

I'll refer to Lazy Llama's chart for reference on when they come into readiness.

chart.jpg

:D

Ravvy, thanks, but I don't do all you mentioned. I've never krausened a batch. I don't think it has any real advantages over sugar and adding yeast. I seldom add yeast. I have bottled too early before and from experience I firmly believe in not bottling most beers before three weeks. When beer goes in to the bottle all unwanted flavors should be gone.

The one thing I know for certain is that temperature is the most important thing we can use manipulate yeast and beer. When I hear master brewers say that dry hopping three days yields all they want from the hops I know they are not keeping it in the low 60's. They must be taking advantage of temps higher than 70 too. The fact that these temps are easy for me to obtain is just dumb luck. I'm nothing more than a fast learning easily misunderstood beginner in a sea of novices.

Thanks guys this was a nice write-up. Like was said earlier I read in books and also the recipe from my kit and they state that you can bottle in as early as a week and bottle for 2 weeks, I feel as was said here that they just want you do get a new batch going as quickly as possible. My first batch will be 2 weeks in the bottle this weekend and from what I read I will test a bottle to see how it is coming along but will not worry anyone with the stupid panicky questions everyone else always seems to post.

Since this thread has already been necro'd, what the hell...

Yeah, pretty much reading this made me sure there's nothing wrong with my first batch (started last saturday, now transferred from the primary fermenter into another vessel) since it tastes okay, but feels quite flat (no siff Sherlock, eh?).

Anyway I'm wondering - I'm using 5l plastic flasks for the brewing (like this: https://picasaweb.google.com/gandalf.pk/Batch1Homebrew#5585765369578832738). I'm wondering whether it's gonna carb at all in a bottle like this - I can't imagine much pressure getting built up in there. Obviously I've replaced the airlock with a proper cap. Has anyone successfully tried "conditioning" (priming, carbing, whatever) his beer in a bottle like that? I'm not planning to bottle it (it's only 2 litres anyway).

(Those pesky students who can't spare £10 for a pack of bottles, caps and a capper, eh?)

Since this thread has already been necro'd, what the hell...

Yeah, pretty much reading this made me sure there's nothing wrong with my first batch (started last saturday, now transferred from the primary fermenter into another vessel) since it tastes okay, but feels quite flat (no siff Sherlock, eh?).

Anyway I'm wondering - I'm using 5l plastic flasks for the brewing (like this: https://picasaweb.google.com/gandalf.pk/Batch1Homebrew#5585765369578832738). I'm wondering whether it's gonna carb at all in a bottle like this - I can't imagine much pressure getting built up in there. Obviously I've replaced the airlock with a proper cap. Has anyone successfully tried "conditioning" (priming, carbing, whatever) his beer in a bottle like that? I'm not planning to bottle it (it's only 2 litres anyway).

(Those pesky students who can't spare £10 for a pack of bottles, caps and a capper, eh?)

If you can make it seal, you had better believe it will carbonate in those bottles. You can expect the sides and bottom to be bulged out while it does so though. I sometimes use a half-liter plastic bottle to see if my brew will carb and after a week it will be so hard you cannot squeeze the sides in.

On another note I made a slight booboo when I kegged my first batch and left it in the fridge after popping it with CO2. It seems I am now lagering my non lager beer which is an American Porter. I of course, had to taste after a week and it is coming out real nice. Needs a little more time as the CO2 hasn't fully integrated in the beer but it does have a nice brown head. I think I should just leave it in the fridge at this point instead of taking it out....thoughts?

Green is a vague term

Green, as a flavor descriptor, is a way to say the beer is bad when you can't bring yourself to admit that the beer is bad.

If you try to get specifics people will say acetaldehyde or something but if you need 4 weeks in the primary and 3 weeks in the bottle to get rid of that, you are doing something seriously wrong.

Fix the problem rather than just waiting longer and convincing yourself that is required.

When I bottle, I always fill at least one clear 16-oz PET bottle for every batch I make, to gauge the carbonation. Once you screw the cap on a plastic bottle, squeeze it to know what it feels like unpressurized. After a few days, the yeast will start to make CO2 and EtOH, and the pressure of the bottle can be easily felt. Additionally, the clear nature of the plastic makes it easy to spot the building amount of sediment at the bottom.

After a few weeks, the plastic bottle should feel pretty darned stiff, and there will be a half-cm of whiteish sediment at the bottom. At a minimum, your beer is now safe to drink. :)

Linked here from the newb forum...

Anyways, I'm doing my first ever brew, a 1 gallon Everday IPA from Brooklyn Brewshop. Per their instructions, I only need 2 weeks in the fermenter and 2 weeks for carbonation. However, everything I've read here calls for at least 3 weeks in bottles for full carbonation. I brewed on 2/20 in hopes of having this batch ready for 3/17, but I know that's really pushing my luck. I've got a ridiculous athletic event that weekend and my cousin's coming to town, so I really wanted it ready, but I'd rather have good beer!

What's everyone's opinion on my situation?

so I really wanted it ready, but I'd rather have good beer!

What's everyone's opinion on my situation?

I want twin redhead lasses with Irish accents to appear at my door in nothing but raincoats, stockings and garters, but if it's not meant to happen then it won't. ;)

We all want our beers to be carbed when we want them too, but unfrotunately usually the yeast have their own timeframes. We don't say "three weeks @ 70" to yank new brewer's chains, to prevent them from not getting what they want....We say it because, that's usually the minimum time it takes.

We're not in control of most of this process. The yeast are.

I'm going to try to resurrect this really old thread instead of starting a new one.

I have a fully-carbed pale that I bottled about 1.5 months ago, & the green apple taste is pretty strong, to the point that it's almost cider-y on the end. My sample at bottling time tasted amazing, & I have a pretty anal cleaning/sanitation regimen, so I'm not thinking it was an infection.

There are 2 variables that I think may have contributed:

1. My yield was only about 4 gallons, but I used almost a full whirlfloc tablet in the BK. Could the yeast in the bottle have fallen out of suspension too quickly, carbing but not cleaning that up?

2. I ran out of corn sugar & used a small amount of granulated sugar from the pantry to make up the difference. Not sure if this would even be a factor, but it is a deviation from my norm.

I just roused the yeast in the bottles I haven't put in the fridge yet & put them in a warmer area, so I'll try another bottle in a few days. Anyone experience anything like this before? Thanks in advance for the help! :mug:

Back