To split or not to split dry yeast for 1 gallon experiments?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nugu

Reaction score
To split or not to split the dry yeast for 1 gallon experiments? I was thinking maybe something like ~half a pack in each gallon. I know that's still over pitching but I've never read anything bad about that? Dry yeast is cheap so I'm not majorly concerned in any case... just thought I'd ask before I accidentally make a yeast flavored drink.

Haven't even bottled my first kit and I want to start experimenting. :rockin:

I think you can get some off flavors from dead yeast. Also I think over pitching will not give you the yeast character you are looking for.
That would make a good experiment though take a few 1 gallon jugs pitch
1 with 1/2 a packet
1 with 1/4 of a packet
1 with 1/8 or so

that will give you some idea of the effect of your pitch rate.

I don't really want a yeast flavor though, that's why I'm wondering.

Using a packet meant for 5-6 gallons it would be pretty hard to split into 1/5's to use in 1 gallon. So I thought I'd ask if pitching roughly half a packet would end up skewing flavor towards a yeast slurry instead of what a 5g batch of the same thing would be.

Edit: And ya, this is all assuming the full packet would be used within minutes of opening on 2-3 gallon tests.

what if you sanitized and dried 5 small spoons and put them on a plate. cut open the yeast and try dumping equal piles on each spoon.

or what about re hydrating the yeast with 50mls of water and put it in a new and sanitized meat injector then try to measure out equal amounts into each jug.

I really don't know how well these ideas would work, but I think if the injector opening was large enough that might work. I would just be concerned with the cells getting damaged being forced through a small opening

Dividing the yeast shouldn't be a real problem.... pour it out on a sanitized plate, divide in half, then divide each in half again. Close enough.

I wouldn't divide it too much. Many people pitch two packets when using dry yeast. Plus it might depend on the beer you are making and the strain of yeast you are using. But I don't think that half a packet is too much.

is your packet 5 or 11 grams. It looks like you need 2 grams for a 1.048 wort so half of a 5g packet should be fine. also some thing to think about is rehydrating, if you pitch dry I have heard that you can expect to loose up to 40% of your yeast

I once (just for kicks) divided up a 11g packet of dry yeast into 10 little piles about a gram each. Then rehydrated them and pithed them into 2L starter and once they finished I stored them in the fridge. Then used them as if I had harvested/washed 'em. No problems with them so far, really only did it to see how it would turn out.

Depending on your OG, a single packet of yeast might not even be enough for 5 gallons. So splitting a packet between a couple (or 3) one gallon primaries really isn't that much of an over pitch.

Rehydrate it first though for optimal activity and health.

I do small batches and i wondered about this but i think im going to pitch about a third of the pack and then use a vacuume bagger to seal and store it back in the fridge.Ive been just using it and wrapping it it a baggie with another bag wrapped in that and havent had a problem.Ive been reading that its advisable to use up to half instead of 1/5 ing it.But just be careful storing it. I make shure i use it up fast.

I've actually been preparing to do 1 gallon batches. The recipes that I have been doing on Beersmith say to use .5 a pack of dry yeast. Hope that helps.

Back