Bottles sticking to capper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluelinebrewer

Reaction score
Tried searching for this problem, but couldn't find anything. This last batch of beer that I brewed, I was having some issues with my capper. It's an upright bottle capper, not sure of the technical name. I capped as usual, but just about every bottle seemed to stick to the capper, on the cap part of the capper. I know there's a magnet in there, but I know it's not THAT strong. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I have the same problem with an older bench capper. I don't think mine has a magnet though - I think the rubber gasket gets forced up from the pressure and the cap ends up sliding into the gasket mounts and sticks a bit.

Yup, I inherited an old bench capper - which is the proper name for your upright capper - from my family's old on-the-farm days. It's in excellent condition and performs admirably except for one thing: it doesn't release the bottles freely once capped. I've polished the bell and done everything else I could think of, but the problem persists. I did find that tipping the bottle bottom-towards-you is the easiest way to get it unstuck, though.

Yup, I inherited an old bench capper - which is the proper name for your upright capper - from my family's old on-the-farm days. It's in excellent condition and performs admirably except for one thing: it doesn't release the bottles freely once capped. I've polished the bell and done everything else I could think of, but the problem persists. I did find that tipping the bottle bottom-towards-you is the easiest way to get it unstuck, though.

I think the gasket inside dries up and shrinks over time - if you could find the right sized gasket it would eliminate some of the slop and not allow the cap to be forced up and stick...

Ok, well, guess I'll just deal with it. Although this bench capper has only capped 3 batches of beer!! I wouldn't expect it to start malfunctioning so early. Oh well, just more of an incentive to start kegging!! :)

could be the brand of bottles too. on my wing capper, anchor steam and sam adams stick to mine, but sierra nevada do not. Rouge 22oz also snag. all my 12oz bottles are now Sierra Nevada or swing tops.

I think the gasket inside dries up and shrinks over time - if you could find the right sized gasket it would eliminate some of the slop and not allow the cap to be forced up and stick...

Hah -- I bet Glubki has hit it on the head. The bell is tapered so it only makes sense this is a solution. My antique capper is pretty old, so I can see where a "gasket" might've disappeared long before I took possession of it. Stuffing a hard O-ring-esque affair in there ought to be a simple and cheap enough experiment in any case.

In the meantime, I kept both the bench and wing cappers handy during my two bottling sessions, which is as far as I've gotten in this nutty business so far, and to my surprise I find I pick up the wingy thingy practically every time unless some odd bottle is better served by the bench capper. I wouldn't have guessed it.

Yeah, ya know, the more I use this damn bench capper, the more I think a wing capper looks like a better option. Maybe I'll buy one and see.....

My bench capper does the exact same thing. I just tip the bottom like someone already suggested. It has yet to cause any issues so I just keep on keeping on. It is a little annoying but nothing gets ruined so no biggie...

-Tripod

Back