First brew help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ondatlevel

Reaction score
I brewed my first beer last night and it was a black IPA kit, I hydrated the yeast about an hour before I pitched it. I left the beer in my 8 gal bucket and I planned on doing so for another five days until I switched it into the glass carboy for another couple weeks. Will I have any issues because I pitched the yeast so long after I hydrated it?

Will

Will

I wouldn't think that would cause an issue. That's not much time in the primary. Even when I have a need to use a secondary, which is not often, I like to leave it in the primary for at minimum 2 - 3 weeks.

The primary is a bucket and my secondary is a carboy and I am concerned with contamination in the bucket vs. the carboy.

The primary is a bucket and my secondary is a carboy and I am concerned with contamination in the bucket vs. the carboy.
You can keep it in your plastic fermenter for months at a time with no problems. You pose more risk of infection racking to secondary than just leaving in primary. I stopped using carboy a altogether.

You can keep it in your plastic fermenter for months at a time with no problems. You pose more risk of infection racking to secondary than just leaving in primary. I stopped using carboy a altogether.

+1. Unless you have another reason to rack it over to a carboy, let it ride in the bucket.

Back