Refrigerator: Cash For Clunkers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Check out this website....
Refrigerator Recycling Programs Take Off - Green Inc. Blog - NYTimes.com

These programs target old refrigerators and freezers — the type often found in garages and basements — because they use substantially more electricity than those built after the introduction of federal efficiency standards.
... Obviously none of us home brewers are green!!! :D

Some are green, but only with envy since they don't have one.

Blackmarket HB'rs interested in getting a keggerator for $30 should contact their utility company asking for a cheap a$$ fridge or freezer!!! :rockin:

So far NJ & CA are doing this.

Blackmarket HB'rs interested in getting a keggerator for $30 should contact their utility company asking for a cheap a$$ fridge or freezer!!! :rockin:

I don't understand why you would be able to buy one for cheap. Isn't the whole idea behind this to get them out of circulation and recycled... not to sell them to people. Maybe I'm missing a key point here. Correct me if I missed something. :)

I think the key word here is blackmarket.

I need someplace to put a kegerator before this becomes an issue for me. But, if I could pick up a really cheap, fridge of questionable heritage I might be convinced to do some cleaning in the garage. :D

Terje

I don't understand why you would be able to buy one for cheap. Isn't the whole idea behind this to get them out of circulation and recycled... not to sell them to people. Maybe I'm missing a key point here. Correct me if I missed something. :)

The whole problem will be if this becomes widespread that good cheap, used, fridges and freezers will be hard to get a hold of for making a kegerator or for lagering purposes.

Some utility companies are paying $50 to pick up the thing.

If some idiot wants a new one they might get rid of it this way. I imagine perfectly good fridges/freezers are worth $50 or more. Some of the subcontractors/employees who will handle the disposal will prolly load up a Ryder Truck and sell them. If they don't they will just go to a landfill.

Landfilling these things is stupid on a whole new level.

I think the key word here is blackmarket.

I need someplace to put a kegerator before this becomes an issue for me. But, if I could pick up a really cheap, fridge of questionable heritage I might be convinced to do some cleaning in the garage. :D

Terje

Get one or two now. These fridges are more efficient if they are full, so brew often and twice on weekends! :D This is your green responsibility.

Back