ingredient kits or recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dankster

Reaction score
so my first 2 batches were kits i got off the internet. first one, nut brown ale, was bad. real bad. 2nd was an irish stout, just bottles today. so its time for #3. for someone who is still pretty new to the game, should i just stick w/ another "kit", or will i find better beer if i follow a recipe and get the ingredients separately? any opinions on this?

I've been using recipes out of Clone Brews and Beer Captured. There are plenty of recipes for styles that I like, and all of them have turned out well so far. With these two books it's pretty much just follow the recipe, make good beer. Highly recommended.

You could start doing recipes. Try to follow them closely until you've done another 5-6 batches. By then, you'll have a good handle on the process. I've been brewing almost six years and of the last three batches, one was a mini-mash kit, one was my own extract recipe and one an all grain recipe. I like the flexibility.

Latest posts

Back