Need Help Adding Spices to Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6sm9

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have recently decided to brew a Christmas batch, and am eager to try adding spices for the first time. My first question is, being a fan of mostly Pale and Blonde Ales, what would be some interesting spices to add to either of these. I am most keen on cinnamon and nutmeg, but have also been curious about even vanilla. I am also a fan of sticking to things that are relatively common and readily available. Your opinions would be much appreciated. Also, when it comes to adding the spices, exactly how much do I need to add for a 6 gallon batch? If you have any other suggestions for spices, or anything else at all I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

The one phrase I kept finding in my research was, be careful. Less is more, especially when it comes to cloves. I tasted the wort when I transferred it to secondary and, even with only 3 cloves, you knew they were there. Not overpowering but present.
Here's my recipe on the brew that goes to bottle tomorrow:

9# Ultralight
1# Clover honey
¾ # Crystal 60
2 oz Chocolate malt
1 oz Magnum 13%
4 sticks cinnamon
3 cloves
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cardamom
2 tsp allspice
Peel from 4 oranges
1 oz Northern Brewers 7 ½%

All spices in at 30 minutes remaining. Orange peel & finishing hops in at 5 min. remaining

Good luck

Latest posts

Back