couple of gas and beer line questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t8hopwood

Reaction score
if you are using a long (between 10 and 15 feet) gas line at 5/16 inner diameter,

does the gas pressure need to be turned up a bit to compensate?

the regulator is is only a foot or two from the corny

this is for an existing draft system at a bar

the regulators are at about 18psi for the full 15 gal kegs and they pump perfect

could i just leave it at 18 to force carb and then serve at the same pressure

or should i reduce to between 12 and 15 for force carb then back it of more to serve?

the beer needs to be pushed through 14 feet of 1/4 or 3/8 in beer line from a walk in

cooler in the basement up to the first floor cooler is between 32 and 37 degrees

any comments advice?? we also use beer gas i think there is a nitro mix in there

for the guiness is there a problem force carbing with that gas or do i need co2?

The beer line length is all that matters, the gas line length doesn't affect anything. I can't comment on the beer line length without consulting a table, though.

Actually, it is beer line length and the inner diameter of the beer line. The more narrow it becomes, the more resistance. But that is absolutely correct if we are assuming you are only going to use 5/16 OD (3/16 ID) line.

Bike N Brew said:

I was checking out the equations there, and on the temperature table, they say not to go above 42 degress, because beer will spoil! Whaaat? I keep my beer around 50 and have had no problems at all. Are they saying that if you keg condition at room temp, the beer is gonna go bad? Sounds wrong to me...

Jester369 said:
they say not to go above 42 degress, because beer will spoil! Whaaat? .
They are most likely talking about commercial kegs, which are not always pasteurized and will spoil fairly quickly if not kept relatively cold. Here is a good bit of info from Micromatic's website:

"Most domestic draft beer is not pasteurized, so it must be kept cold. The temperature must be maintained between 36-38°F, and the temperature must be maintained all the way to the faucet. Temperatures above 38°F will cause foam and promote sour/cloudy beer. If the temperature rises above 50-55°F, bacteria growth rapidly begins to spoil flavor and cloud the beer. Simply put, keg beer storage can be compared to milk storage: "If it is not kept cold, it will spoil.""

Generally speaking this does not related to home brewed beer, at least from what I gather.

Latest posts

Back