Guate Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using powdered sanitizer that came with my first kit when I need to make sure there's nothing's alive any more, I usually reuse the keg with the same type of yeast most of the time; so I just clean with dish soap and rinse thoroughly, then fill right back up. You can ask for "tintura de yodo incolora" at any pharmacy and you should be able to get it, the name baffles me somewhat though, 'cause you'd expect a tincture to be well... tinted, this one's colorless. Make sure to apply to all surfaces including bucket lid o'rings.

On another topic, I had some errands to run today and am leaving for work now so the phone call will have to wait until tomorrow.

I typically use chlorine (household bleach). I think a lot of the anecdotal stories that circulate are the result of it being mixed too strong and/or not rinsed properly (and/or people just repeating what they've heard). When mixed and rinsed properly I have never had an issue.

I also got some PBW with a recent kegging gear order. Easy to use. Does a good job of dislodging gunk in kegs, but of course not readily available here.

I have some good news for all of us... I just managed to track down the distributor for IMI Cornelius ...in Guatemala:

Cool. Be interested to know their pricing. Used kegs are inexpensive in the US and even after shipping (surface transport) not too bad, but be nice to find someone here that could provide kegs at a reasonable price.

Well had some free time so called the keg guys and spoke to Julio Hernandez, a sales guy, and he said they do not have them in stock but that they would inquire and let me know ASAP. I'll let you know if and when I get any info.

Also asked the guys at Daisochem if they had any foodsafe iodine based sanitizers and they said they do and I'll get a sample. Will let you know how it works, looks, smells, etc. With this product 1 oz in 5 gal is good for about 15.6 PPM and 2 oz in 5 gal for 30 PPM. Iodophor at 12.5 PPM or above kills bacteria, etc in 1 minute contact time. They sell this product for about Q268 for a gallon so the gallon would be good for 128 5 gallon batches with 15 ppm or 64 5 gal batches with 30 PPM. I calculated in 5 gallon batches because I usually fill my fermenting bucket with 5 gal of water with sanitizer and sanitize everything I'll use in brew day there. It lasts 2 years in storage so this stuff is dirt cheap and much better than chlorine.

Hey great info. Be sure and let us know how the Daisochem works out.

Well had some free time so called the keg guys and spoke to Julio Hernandez, a sales guy, and he said they do not have them in stock but that they would inquire and let me know ASAP. I'll let you know if and when I get any info.

Any more info on the kegs?

Nope, no luck yet, guess I'll have to import them. Found a 1 tap kegerator that fits 3 cornies though, have to save a little to get it and then modify to have 2 in tap and 1 carbing cold.

Nope, no luck yet, guess I'll have to import them. Found a 1 tap kegerator that fits 3 cornies though, have to save a little to get it and then modify to have 2 in tap and 1 carbing cold.

I use TRANSCARGO to ship in heavy/bulky stuff. Shipped in a couple of kegs and a CO2 tank last year. The use surface transport (ships) so the cost is not too bad, but it typically takes a few weeks (depends on how fast their containers fill up).

Subscribing, I'm originally from Guatemala and go back every year or two. All but my immediate family live there. Cool to see some homebrewers there!

How did that Rosa de Jamaica beer come out? That never even occurred to me but now I want to try it!

Subscribing, I'm originally from Guatemala and go back every year or two. All but my immediate family live there. Cool to see some homebrewers there!

How did that Rosa de Jamaica beer come out? That never even occurred to me but now I want to try it!

Bienvenidos rifraf!

I've done some more recipe design work using Beer Smith and blending test samples with Pilsners which I've brewed here and it's got potential. I did one test blend using Brava Extra...yuk...that was a bad idea. With the Pils, I blended so that it had a nice color, a bit of RJ taste, and even a reddish head. Now waiting on more supplies to come in to brew it (no LHBS here in Guate!). Based upon my test blends, I plan to brew a very light ale, using Saaz hops, so that the RJ taste and color stand out, and to make the RJ tea an addition to secondary at about a 30% ratio by volume.

Attached is the current version of my recipe.

Cerveza Rosa.jpg

Yahoo! Just got an email from TRANSCARGO and my latest shipment of brew goodies is on the way to the Rio.

For reference: I shipped 32lbs of stuff (packed weight) and it cost Q320 (about US$40). This is Miami-Guate City. It will cost about Q100 or less to ship it to the Rio aboard Litegua. Typically takes a few weeks depending up how long it takes them to fill up a container.

Thanks! I have a good cream ale recipe that takes fruit flavors very well, I might play with that. My biggest concern is that the RJ I'm used to is very sweet and I'm not sure how to add fruit sweetness to the beer that won't cause fermentation...I don't want the malt sweetness, just the fruit.

... My biggest concern is that the RJ I'm used to is very sweet...

That's because someone has added loads of sugar to it -- that's typical here in Guate and in the commercial concentrate versions. Yuk, I don't like the sugary stuff, but apparently most people do.

I buy the actual dried flowers (a type of Hibiscus) in the mercado. When brewed from just the natural ingredients RJ is not sweet -- in fact it is a bit tart/acerbic/citrus like. It adds its own sort of bitterness to the brew. It's this mild bitterness that made me think of using it in a beer. I brew it very concentrated and then mix with water to taste. Keeps well unrefrigerated also because there's no sugar in it to grow little beasties. Healthy stuff to w/out the sugar.

Yeah I need to learn to drink that rather than the RJ sweet tea, but I think the sweet flavor is pretty good :drunk: and might make a good beer

Yeah I need to learn to drink that rather than the RJ sweet tea, but I think the sweet flavor is pretty good :drunk: and might make a good beer

Well, no harm in trying it both ways. Maybe like you said in a style that would accommodate the sweetness...maybe something Belgian?

Can you get the concentrate in Chicago?

I just bought some natural RJ a few days ago:

SDC11986.jpg

I can but there are enough Hispanic grocery stores to get the dried leaves, or can always get some from my family. My mom is there now actually...hmmm...

Welcome rifraf!

Curtis, have a contact for transcargo? Do I jave to setup an account with them? That is cheap! We really have to get together guys

Saw over in the rum thread that rifraf would like to clone gallo, according to the tour guide at the brewery (and the size of the "mash tuns", separate for malt and corn) it's about a 80/20 belgian pale malt and corn for the grain bill and up to 25% cane sugar fermentables, single infusion for the malt; the corn is boiled only, so it's similar to using a single decoction fraction.

They use hops extract from WA, so probably nugget to 21 IBU's. They use czech lager yeast and ferment for 1 week and then condition another week (my sister had a kegger for her birthday, I siphoned off the remains into a korny with some german ale yeast and it dried out a lot, so there's quite a bit of unfermented sugars left in gallo).

I haven't tried cloning it because, as I've told anyone who insists I do, If I wanted gallo I'd go to the store and get some. The one local light beer I don't mind getting from the store is cabro reserva, which is the way cabro was made about 10-15 years ago, less corn than regular cabro, and the hops cover up what little is left of the corn; other than that, moza and moza gold are ok, more so if mixed 1:3 with cabro reserva.

I've gotten spoiled with my beer and can't stand corn in my beer any more; so much so, I can taste it in motecarlo or dorada, which are pretty bland to begin with (think heineken). I use rice flour (in my wild flanders red, which usually calls for corn grits in the recipe) or panela/brown sugar (in my porters or brown ales) whenever I need adjuncts in my beer.

Welcome rifraf!

Curtis, have a contact for transcargo? Do I jave to setup an account with them? That is cheap! We really have to get together guys

Sure:

Transcargo
Ave. Las Américas 20-12, Zona 13
Tel. 2332-5720 / 2332-5951

Email: lilytagarcia at hotmail.com

TransCargo is good for heavy or bulky stuff (For example, I just ordered two more corny kegs and another C02 tank). Surface transport via shared containers so usually takes a few weeks. Customers service is not the greatest, but they get it here and the price is right. They don't have a retail store front, just an office (Z13) and a bodega (Z1). Best to have them deliver to you (which is their normal way of doing it).

For smaller stuff, I use CPX (See www.cpxbox.com), they use shared air freight so it is here in few days after hitting Miaimi. Spendy for larger/heavier stuff. Customer service is excellent and they have a web site where you can track your stuff. They also have a retail store front where you can drop in and pick up your stuff (Z13). All contact info is on their web site and you can set-up an from there also.

My GF flies back in to Guate City on Sept 26. I plan to come up a day or two before. We could have the first ever "Cerveceros C-4" meeting around then -- how's that sound?

Oh and on the RJ how about some of it in secondary mostly for aroma?

I'm planning to add RJ tea to secondary for color and flavor. Not sure how adding just the dried flowers to secondary would work out. The flowers are normally boiled and steeped to make the tea. You might try steeping some in some beer fist to see what happens.

Another idea on Guate ingredients from the "Peppers in Beer" thread here:

This thread gives me some ideas, we have a delicious pepper here in Guate called "Chile Coban". Small red pepper normally sold smoked. Great flavor (I use them ground as a seasoning a lot) and not overly hot. Great smoky pepper taste. Not sure if they are available anywhere else. But a Chile Coban Porter sounds like a fine idea!

What base beer styles have you guys used for your pepper flavored beers?

@ Curtis, great info on Transcargo, will definitely use them to get my cornys, CO2 tank and maybe my grains? totally up for the meeting around Sep 25th, lets do it!

By the way found a place that has great beer called Nueva Deli, it is close to las Americas in zone 14, not cheap/not expensive, they have:
- La Trappe: Blonde, Dubbel, Trippel, Quadruppel (Freaking awesome trappist beers! expensive, Q50 for a 355ml bottle)
- Tucher: They have a Ubersee (ok, not great) and a Doppelbock I think (love it), about Q23 for a 750cc bottle and a Helles Hefeweizen, nice!
- Erdinger: They have the traditional Weizen and a Dunkel, very nice at about Q30 per 750cc bottle
- Brooklyn Lager and EIPA
- Baltikas: the 6 is a dark that is not so bad, a bit acidic to my taste but not bad
- Estrella Damm: gluten free beer, not bad for GF
- Mahou Dark: Meh!
and a few others I cant remember, definitely worth a visit.

I haven't tried cloning it because, as I've told anyone who insists I do, If I wanted gallo I'd go to the store and get some. The one local light beer I don't mind getting from the store is cabro reserva, which is the way cabro was made about 10-15 years ago, less corn than regular cabro, and the hops cover up what little is left of the corn; other than that, moza and moza gold are ok, more so if mixed 1:3 with cabro reserva....

Yes, I prefer to brew stuff which I cannot buy, but "rifraf" is in Chicago so maybe he is longing for a little taste of home.

Good info on Gallo, maybe he can use that to come up with a clone recipe.

Also, for any one who has not done the Gallo brewery tour it is certainly worth the effort whether you like Gallo or not.

I've tried Cabro but not the Cabro Reserva, will have to look for that next time I'm in the City.

That's exactly it. I would never brew Bud Light but a taste of home? Absolutely. First thing I go for when I get off the plane is Gallo and Pollo Campero. Total small world, but one of my good friends at work recently married a Guatemalan girl, she feels exactly the same way and looks for Gallo every time she walks into major beer stores. You can find it every now and then in the states but it's called "Famosa".

...totally up for the meeting around Sep 25th, lets do it!
By the way found a place that has great beer called Nueva Deli, it is close to las Americas in zone 14 ......

Great find on the beer! I will definitely check that out -- if you happen to go back and can get the street address then let me know. Are they near the Obelisko roundabout or further down Las Americas? I have not found many interesting imports in the City, but like I always tell people....anything you are likely to want is somewhere in Guate City -- it just may take 6 months to find it! I often just give up an order whatever it is, but I know its there somewhere!

My plan for my next couple of beer ingredients orders is to order the ingredients minus the base grains or extract and then use DME from Distribudora Caribe. This cuts WAY down on shipping weight and cost.

The evening of the 25th works for me. What time works for you and pacaya? I have also yet to find a bar in the City that has a really interesting beer selection, but I keep hearing rumors, do you know of anywhere?

Nueva Deli: 3 Av. 17-05 z.14 Edificio Casa Alta, Local 103
I could swing by on the 25th after 8:00 but only for an hour or 2, I have a lab class at college on wednesday and need to write the previous week's report for wednesday, which'll take me about 4 hours. On the up side, I just bottled about 3.5 gallons worth of my IPA, so I could bring a couple for you guys to take home.

Nueva Deli: 3 Av. 17-05 z.14 Edificio Casa Alta, Local 103
I could swing by on the 25th after 8:00 but only for an hour or 2, I have a lab class at college on wednesday and need to write the previous week's report for wednesday, which'll take me about 4 hours. On the up side, I just bottled about 3.5 gallons worth of my IPA, so I could bring a couple for you guys to take home.

Show up with hombrew -- that's even better! Unfortunately, I don't have anything that's ready to go right now, but I will be happy to buy you a couple of beers.

Do you know the bar "Cheers" in Z10? Its on Calle 13 across the street from Apartementos Las Torres (near the "Holiday Inn"). Does that work for you guys?

The only one I have ready is a raspberry wheat I made for the wife if you want to try it, other than that one I will not make you suffer the others I have ready, don't really like them much.

The 25th works fine for me, didn't know Cheers was still open! We could also go to Rattle and Hum as they have Brooklyn beer there if you want, otherwise ok on going to Cheers.

The only one I have ready is a raspberry wheat I made for the wife if you want to try it, other than that one I will not make you suffer the others I have ready, don't really like them much.

The 25th works fine for me, didn't know Cheers was still open! We could also go to Rattle and Hum as they have Brooklyn beer there if you want, otherwise ok on going to Cheers.

Yes, Cheers is still open -- I think they had some kind of internal squabble a few months back, but were open last time I was in the City a few weeks ago. But, either place is fine with me.

And by all means, bring along some home brew! I've got some mead brewing, but doubt it will be anywhere near ready by then, but it might be drinkable at least. I will at taste a sample before I leave and if it is palatable I will bring some along.

Pacaya: any preference or suggestions?

As far as location, anything in the zona 10, 13, 14 or even 9 (except for the kind of place that instantly comes to mind when someone says zona 9) area, seeing as how I work in zona 9 (once again, not in that kind of place).

I don't mind mead being young, I'll chuck it in my closet along with my flanders red and let it age until fall next year. I would also not mind a raspberry wheat, my dad had me make a witbier, which I don't mind getting into once in a while. Heck, anything's good as long as we don't go blind:mug: (I mean you XL).

I love witbiers and Belgian blondes and trippels, those are my favorites right now. I was in New Orleans a couple of weeks ago visiting my dad and we went to a place called Avenue Pub, they had a buttload of beers on tap, maybe around 50 and then around 75 bottled beers. I could only try about 6 before I gave my dad the keys to the car LOL. I tried a nice barleywine, a nice porter, a nondescript witbier, a pear cider, Sierra nevada pale ale, a fruity one I cant quite remember. I also bought some beer for the house: a sampler of Abita beers (liked the Jockamo IPA and the restauration ale), some Blue moon pumpkin ales, really nice and my favorite while I was there: The Blue Moon beligian wheat AWESOME!

As far as location, anything in the zona 10, 13, 14 or even 9 (except for the kind of place that instantly comes to mind when someone says zona 9) area, seeing as how I work in zona 9 (once again, not in that kind of place). ...

OK, well why don't we go with "Rattle & Hum" then -- its a bit more interesting than "Cheers". Work for you guys?

New at this site.not sure how to post from phone. Im looking for a clone recipe for a cream ale called six point sweet action.

New at this site.not sure how to post from phone. Im looking for a clone recipe for a cream ale called six point sweet action.

Polk, you posted to the "Guatemalan Brewing" thread. One of the guys on here might have a recipe, but you will probably have better luck on another thread.

Good luck.

Works out just fine.

OK, Sept 25th, 8PM, Rattle & Hum it tis. El primero reunión de "Cerveceros C-4" !

Geez, 8PM that's almost past my bed time! Here in the jungle when the sun goes down its almost time to go to bed...sun comes up...wake up. In the City with all the light and noise, I get my sleep patterns all screwed up.

...I just bought some natural RJ a few days ago:

Oh, and another bonus of brewing with Rosa Jamica -- it helps with head retention. I was reminded of that today when I opened some RJ tea which I had carbonated as an experiment...almost turned into a pink foamy geyser!

SDC12029.jpg

Latest posts

Back