New Brewer, first batch is in the fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyclometh

Reaction score
Hi folks, found this site while researching specific gravity ranges after getting my first batch into the fermenter. It's sitting behind me now. It's an IPA, and I used artesian well water from a local well for it. I figure if it was good enough for the local brewery for a century, it's good enough for mine. ;)

Enjoy the photos of Gris Gris the Brew Cat and my first batch of wort doing its thing.

IMAG0145.jpg

IMG_20111030_145027.jpg

Thanks and I look forward to many interesting discussions!

You just began a wonderful wonderful hobby. Your cat is nice, but that stock pot full of steaming wort is nicer. HomeBrewTalk is a great way to have a perpetual brewing conversation with an assorted community of brewers, have fun :mug:

I'm in Olympia, Washington. For the water in the brew I went down to the local artesian well for the water- it's chemically pure and according to the reports I've read is over two thousand years old at the wellhead (the manganese level is elevated, which only happens in really old water).

I've wanted to do homebrewing for a long time but was always daunted by how hard it seemed. Now I wish I'd done it before this; it was easier than making sushi.

I think I really lucked out with my kitchen, though- the previous owners of this house redid the kitchen before they sold it to us, and I think they must have done it with homebrewing in mind- for example, I was going to use an ice bath in the tub for chilling the wort until I realized the sink was set up so that I could run cold water continuously and have it overflow into the secondary sink, even with an eight-gallon wort pot. That made it a ton easier.

IMG_20111030_154747.jpg

All in all, it was a lot of fun (and a lot of work) but I think it will turn out well. The wort tasted good after I sampled the bit in my hydrometer when I was done taking SG readings (1.057). It was very sweet, although I could definitely taste the hops; I expect the yeast are having a good time.

IMAG0158.jpg

You just began a wonderful wonderful hobby. Your cat is nice, but that stock pot full of steaming wort is nicer. HomeBrewTalk is a great way to have a perpetual brewing conversation with an assorted community of brewers, have fun :mug:

Thank you! :)

And on a positive note, I just observed bubbling in the fermentation lock, and it's only been four or five hours since I pitched!

Cyclometh said:
And on a positive note, I just observed bubbling in the fermentation lock, and it's only been four or five hours since I pitched!

That's awesome!!! Now smell the bubbling airlock... Hahahaa. I'm not going to hide it, I do it all the time. =)

Note to self, avoid posting with pictures. :) Thanks for approving the above ones, mods!

I'm told the brew is bubbling along nicely.

Back