44 qt turkey Fryer Kettle Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
How many inches from the bottom of the kettle is the 5.5 gallon mark on a 44 Qt SS Bayou Classic turkey fryer? I need to know pretty soon.

I take it you are sparging?

I only have the 30 qt one so my measurments wouldn't help you.

I'm also poor at math as I know given enough time I could figure it out on paper.

The ID is about the same as an Igloo cooler (13 inches), so I measured it out to about 10-11 inches from the bottom. I compared it with a pre-measured, marked bucket of a slightly smaller ID and it seemed comparable.

Without a measurement of your pot, inside radius and height, its not possible to tell you where that mark is.

I looked up your pot on the web, nobody gives dimensions for it. Otherwise you should be able to calculate that.

To be honest, why don't you just do it the practical and easy way. Pour 5.5 gallons of water into the pot and get out your measure tape. Easy, reliable, and fairly fast.

Gedvondur

Gedvondur said:
To be honest, why don't you just do it the practical and easy way. Pour 5.5 gallons of water into the pot and get out your measure tape. Easy, reliable, and fairly fast.

Its filled with boiling wort. Should have mentioned that.

Gedvondur said:
Without a measurement of your pot, inside radius and height, its not possible to tell you where that mark is.

I looked up your pot on the web, nobody gives dimensions for it. Otherwise you should be able to calculate that.

Clearly I am stupid today. Its an 11 gallon pot. 5.5 gallons is exactly half the pot. Sorry about that.

Gedvondur

Well, with my fryer (granted, electric), the measurement was for as muchy liquid as could possibly fit in there, i.e. all the way to the rim (why market it as 44 qt when you could market 48?). If you target your final boil volume as halfway up, you'll be close enough and know enough to hone in more precisely next time.

Not sure if it's too late, but it's 8-5/8"...

I filled the pot a gallon at a time and marked my spoon with each gallon, of course I did that with my SS hose assemby thing, so maybe make it 8-1/2" :)...

Cheesefood said:
Depends. Is it 44 qts to the very top, or 44 qt's to the top ring (giving about 1.5" of extra space)??

Good question. But does the pot have a South African Rim or a North American Rim. That combined with your elevation and baromentric pressure reading you should be able to calculate exactly 5.5 gallons in the pot unless of course you are using the metric system.:D

Well this has been an amusing little discussion. I would have to say that it is a true eleven gallon pot, full right to the top.

I base this on the idea is that nobody brews or boils 11 gallons. Unless we want to assume that somebody wants to be the Spinal Tap of the brewing/boiling world.

So for practical use purposes its a 10 gallon pot with 1 gallon headroom, but marketed at its full capacity for reasons that range from marketing to truth in advertising.

I think the reason we generally don't trust container size is because of the automotive industry. Gasoline tanks in cars generally hold a little more than their official rating.

That's my take, anyway.

Gedvondur

Latest posts

Back