Using old Poland Springs 5 gal containers as carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbrann

Reaction score
Was wondering if these would work as a secondary fermentation vessel? I have access to a few. Has anyone tried this yet?

You'd have to check what material they are made out of. Most of these water containers are too oxygen permeable to be used for extended conditioning.

check the recycle number - as I understand it, if its 2 (PETE, HDPE), you'll be fine.

of course, there's also happy stories of people using other products and having them work out just fine as well.

i can see where you might not wanna take a chance, on the other hand. if its a short term (weeks, not months) secondary, the chances of oxidation are gonna be limited, and its cheaper than buying another glass or better bottle carboy.

#1 PET (Better Bottle material) or #2 HDPE (Ale Pail material) are the only ones I would use.

I've been trying to locate some bottles myself, as they are much cheaper than Better Bottles. However, #7 seems to be the most common material (BPA leaching).

Back