Temperature variations and Apfelwine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benutne

Reaction score
So I'm making some of the Apfelwine since a retard could follow the recipe and get results (looking square in the mirror here). Here is the issue I'm coming across: My home is poorly insulated and with winter coming up it could vary between 60-65 during the day when I'm gone and 65-68 when I'm at home. Should I just say screw it and take it to work where I'll have a more constant temp? Is there an ideal temp range in which I should keep it? Also, is it more important to keep the temp constant during the first week of fermentation? I'd rather not my basement at work smell of the dreaded "rhino farts" and I'm sure my co workers would appreciate it.

Welcome to HBT!

I think it will be fine at your house if you keep it off the floor. I made my first batch in the basement during winter and had a hard time keeping it above 60°. The Apfelwein came out just fine.

Welcome to HBT!

I think it will be fine at your house if you keep it off the floor. I made my first batch in the basement during winter and had a hard time keeping it above 60°. The Apfelwein came out just fine.
Why would I want to keep it off the floor? My brother used to make beer all the time in our storage closet at our parents and it sat on the floor. We have wood floors from 1959 BTW and they ARE the subfloor if that makes any difference. It can get chilly in here.

If you are worried about it being too cold, floors are usually several degrees cooler than say a table top. Also, the temp is slightly more stable a few feet off the ground.

Good to know. I look forward to sharing my first brew. Thanks for the insight.

Latest posts

Back